Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

Much as I want to keep playing this next time, I understand your decision. You've done a huge bunch of work and a great job as the game master!

Sooooo curious what the other ideas are! You know - cats, curiosity. Good thing for nine lives...

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I was trying to think of ways to automate battle, but a lot of them require a bit of strategy/spell/flanking simplification. That said, there's some ways to make it all a lot quicker and simpler than sitting down with a bunch of dice and a piece of paper, but I you are probably not already going that old school?

Are you rolling dice by hand now or just using spreadsheet functions? It seems like if battle participants declared their army composition and strategy directly into a Google Spreadsheet and you just used RANDBETWEEN(1,6) to generate a lot of dice rolls that it would be a simple start, and then start hacking in more automation from there until/unless a more featured method was cobbled together.

Automating everything would cut down on strategy without a decent bit of work but a semi-automatic solution that speeds things up shouldn't be hard to get started. It could be written numerous ways.. The spreadsheet idea is probably the easiest start though, since it's the most flexible for you to change as the rules are constantly evolving... But you may already be doing a lot of that.

• Like 1

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

It's not full automation but could you use one of these?

http://calculator.singlebuttonjoystick.com/

http://www.avianon.net/subpage.php?s=index_calculations

The first is for close combat but the second includes other things.

• Like 1

Okri Kadrinsson ~ Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Str 2  Dex 1   Sta 1   Con 3   Wis 2   Cha 1

Challenge Commander Kidd's first adventurer challenge

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.†

― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit

Well, D_R seems to have started a trend. Looks like various ones of us are already developing games/PVPs/gamified challenges for next time.

I spent quite a bit of time tonight working on a firefighting themed game where exercise and other activities will earn you points to get trucks, crews, etc. to fight fires, and maybe respond to other types of emergencies. I'll be developing the idea more on my challenge thread and then on my battle log to prepare for next challenge. Would welcome any ideas or suggestions.

And, of course, I've been preparing for the battle this weekend. This has been such a good way to bump my exercise to the next level, I'm trying to find a way to keep the momentum going for next time!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

It's not full automation but could you use one of these?

http://calculator.singlebuttonjoystick.com/

http://www.avianon.net/subpage.php?s=index_calculations

The first is for close combat but the second includes other things.

Not really, because they're wargame calculators. I've done several modifications and they won't work with my version of the game. Thanks though.

I'll be out of town Friday-Sunday, but Tuesday is WW2 holiday, so I should be able to process the final round of battles Monday and Tuesday

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Does this.mean we can have to the end of the challenge to recruit? Ir would help keep workout momentum until the challenge finish and give us more troops...

[emoji2]

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Of course. I forgot to mention it, but regardless of my trip, since it's the end of the challenge, the deadline is moved to Sunday night.

Also, I've started a thread to bring together people interested in future ideas such as this PvP. Feel free to check it out and spread the word.

• Like 4

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Yay! And, yay!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Well everyone its been fun, its to bad the warhammer thread has to come to an end and I understand why it has to end and feel for D_R, the little experience I had participating in the thread was interesting and like I said really fun. I originally joined the thread as a fun thing to do with CommanderKidd, however I will not participate in any other threads as this experience while being fun has left a bad taste in my mouth and so I do not wish to participate in any others, gl/hf with your future threads and keep up the exercise! 

• Like 1

I had the same experience when I first joined, I felt since I was joining in the last week of a challenge there was no point getting too involved. The warhammer PvP was too good to pass up and pulled me into the site regardless of my initial feelings. I think what erwohs is referring to is that he was hoping to have more fun with this before it shut down and is left feeling a bit disappointed since he just got his army off the ground and now can't do anything with it after the final battle. Correct me if I'm wrong erwohs, this is just what I gathered from our conversation the other day.

It's a bit like joining a monopoly game when someone already owns three quarters of the board, of course it would be a bit frustrating.

• Like 1

As you said joining the game late comes with its own host of challenges. This was always a test though.

It seems that there will be a few different games next time.

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Bugger, I was looking forward to joining in next challenge. You lot needed some proper chaos boys to stomp your faces into the dirt. Oh and plenty of me posting "Blood for the Blood God!, Skulls for the skull throne!, Burn, maim, kill!" and other such malarky. I even dredged up Brother Grimblood's little background story to share with you all. Such are the whims of the Chaos Gods. I guess Brother Grimblood will have to remain lost in the Warp for some time yet.

• Like 4

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

@Xena - Yeah, and I'm calculating using my yoga reps for more Medusas and Beast Masters...ha! Seems sort of sacrilegious or something. Super weird sums it up rather well. :)

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Super weird sums it up rather well. :)

Part of being a nerd, I suppose B)

This game will re-surface when the proper changes have been made. It was a great experience and I thank you all for being a part of it. I'm back in town and Tuesday is a holiday, so I should be able to process the final round of battles until then

• Like 5

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Results:

Wood Elves (Ybel) reclaimed Athel Loren without facing any resistance from the Pirates of Sartosa

High Elves (Xena) succesfully pushed against Khemri Undead and Araby forces to conquer Araby and part of the Grand Desert

Amazons (ShadowLion) spread East to Tlaxan and across the Great Ocean to The Cape and South Emirate

The combined forces of the Dwarfs (CommanderKidd) and Lizardmen (erwohs) annihilated the Chaos Dwarfs (DarK_RaideR)

Everyone else either stayed home uneventfully or was never able to prepare in time

Final map

Old-World-Domination-Map-3.jpg

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Part of being a nerd, I suppose B)

This game will re-surface when the proper changes have been made. It was a great experience and I thank you all for being a part of it. I'm back in town and Tuesday is a holiday, so I should be able to process the final round of battles until then

Many, many thanks for running this.  It was a real pleasure to play, a great motivator, and something to look forward to in a very weird and stressful challenge!!

• Like 3

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

i know my earlier post was a bit confusing, it was fun but I spent time learning all the ins and outs of how this all worked and getting down a workout routine that would allow me to build a good number of troops each week and i did join late. which does infact make it hard to start with, but i just have no interest in learning a new system and figuring out a new workout routine, that's why im not participateing in any more challenges. It has nothing to do with any of you or your thread, you all made it fun and it was nice knowing you all for a week and a half. when this forum starts up again i may be back.

• Like 1

We look forward to that erwohs.

At last the taint on Dwarven kind has been eliminated, we are once again a pure force for good in the Old World! (Sorry D_R :P)

I'm rather surprised that Albion did nothing in the last turn.

It was fun everyone, thanks for making this game so interesting and getting me hooked on the site!