Forums are back in action! ×

Step 2 is always the hard part.

Hello!

It seems that for me, on the road to getting 'in shape', Step 2 is always the hard part. Step 1: Set a goal. Easy enough! Step 2: Start working out....

Last year I made a concerted effort to slim up, get in shape, look nicer in a tuxedo - I got married in October, spent the weeks after that in Hawaii, and promptly fell completely off the wagon as far as exercise an diet go. Too many incredible meals, and then straight into the holidays, a new job, a new house, and here we are, a year later, having gained back all the weight I took off.

Time for a new goal. October 2015 my wife and I are going on vacation in the Caribbean. 10 days of fun in the sun - although right now, I'm not exactly thrilled about it. I'm about 170lbs, but carry a lot of that in my legs and stomach, as my arms are most easily described as twig-like. We are finally settled now, and without having to move for a 4th time in as many years we have joined the local YMCA for access to the pool, weights, and treadmills.

I have never worked to a 6 week goal before, so hopefully that gives us some targets to achieve and successes to drive additional exercises. We started small - cut out a lot of junk food that had built up in the move, started focusing our meals and trimming portion sizes, and we've swapped from soda to water - although with Octoberfest on tap in ever Boston-area bar, its going to be a rough beer month!

I'm looking foward to reading some more beginning information and getting started. Hopefully I can finally find some success in hitting Step 2! :)

• Like 2

Thanks! I suppose at least planning on fixing it is a good start, but I'll be happier once I get 5 or 10 trips to the gym under my belt and have started forming a habit out of it. And I have to do some reading about how to deal with food cravings - it's not possible to bring lunch with me to work, so I either have to deal with Subway/McDonalds/Random Fried Chinese Chicken, or go to the cafeteria and pick up a salad / pizza. I've been shifting myself over to Subway 6" subs, and even that trying to cut out some of the cheese when possible, but around 2pm I find it hard to think about anything other than food!

All I can suggest is to start slow. It takes 21 days to build a good habit so as long as you keep going, it'll become second nature. That being said, if you take on too much too quickly, you might reach a point where you burn out and give up--I've definitely been there--so be careful and pay attention to what motivates you, never forgetting why you're doing this.

On the food cravings front, I can completely relate! Always be aware of what you're eating so that every food choice is one made consciously. I've found that drinking a tonne of water can help curb the cravings some days and on others, sheer power of will just about does it. Salads are always a good idea, don't forget about adding protein but watch out for the dressings--they can add calories you don't want or need.

I'm no expert but I hope this helped. :)

Itcha's Battle Log

Rebel Introductions

Goal: Lose 20 kg and look great by December 5th (a bet was made but don't tell anyone, it's confidential)

10%
10%

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle