Forums are back in action! ×

Front lever

Salty

So right now I'm training the front lever to further my epic quest, (got back lever and human flag crossed off the list) and am currently at 1 leg front lever (almost at straddle) and was wondering how to train for it. I'm currently doing...

10 dragon flag raises

15 sec elbow lever

12 toes to bar

30 sec superman

15 windshield wipers on bar

10 sec back lever

Any thoughts on this or improvements welcome

After I was able to comfortably complete 8 sets of 8 seconds on the flat back tuck, I went to the straddle, working up to 10 sets of 6 seconds of that. Once I got to 8 of 8 of that, I went for half for a few weeks, but then just went straight to a full front lever, 10 of 6.

12C-Darvey.jpg

Then you just slowly extend out the legs as necessary. I'm pretty flexible, so my straddle was pretty wide, and I was able to adjust from that. I didn't really need to do the half or the single-leg variations. You could start with a bent-leg straddle, which should be a bit easier.

I would rest somewhere around 60-90 seconds, and I did it before my main regular workouts to keep the CNS fresh. Don't be too worried about "maximum effect", these things can't be rushed. Some people take years to learn this.