Forums are back in action! ×

For the Rebellion! *slaps chest*

Hi fellow Rebels,

Well where to start. I know in the sign up process it said the site doesn't care where your from, but as it is a huge part of me now and my decisions to sign up, I may as well start there (i'll try not to bore you). About 10 years ago, I did not care about my health, so much so that I weighed in at 371 pounds. I then injured my back, and was told by my doctor, the only way not to suffer for the rest of my life with back issues was to lose weight. Skip ahead three years later and I had got my weight down to 224 pounds, through strict dieting. It was the hardest thing I have done.

I decided to have a couple of years off and enjoying myself again (the occasional takeaway, alcohol, etc). I then hit the dieting again and started a gym. After another year or two, I got down to 196 pounds. I then found my final end game, if I lost another 14 pounds I'd weigh less than all the weight I had lost! I achieved this two years a go, but probably by the incorrect way, I calorie counted. Don't get me wrong it did it's job but we come to where I am now.

So, I have recently put on another 14 pounds and as I have barely been exercising so it must be all fat. I don't eat properly any more (an average days meals are breakfast: A banana, Lunch: Salad, regulalry don't have dinner) due to my calorie counting and the fear of putting on more weight! Alternatively when the snacks come out rounds friends, because I don't eat them regularly, my will power goes and I hit them like a ten ton truck, hence the putting on 14 pounds this last few months.

So, why am I here? I am about to join a local gym as I want to get stronger, fitter and actually have some core muscles so I don't slouche any more, but I am petrified about eating to go with it. I have tried exercising at home doing bodyweight exercises but when I get home from work my motivation goes out the window. I also know if my diet is wrong, I'm already losing the battle. I also hoped to pick up as many tips and pieces of advice as I can and I am already very grateful for any that will head my way.

So to cut a long story short, I guess I am here to be moulded into a hero, with good STR, DEX & HP..

All the best guys.  :peaceful:

• Like 1

Sounds like you've come to the perfect place to reach your goals and form easier, heathier long-term habits! :D Welcome!

I was obsessed with calorie counting for such a long time. Personally, I found it to be the most boring, tasteless, energy sucking thing I've ever done. I'm wondering how much energy do you normally have? I know I need a lot of proper food in me in order to work out ever.

I'm so impressed by what you've already accomplished, I'm sure if you've managed to come this far through those means, you can accomplish so much more (and enjoy doing it!) :P

Level 0 Rebel 

STR 0 | DEX STA CON | WIS | CHA 0

"People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -Black science man

Lose 50 lbs by April

0%
0%

- My current challenge -

Thanks Lucky, I hope so to!  :peaceful:

As you cay calorie counting became more of an obsession and I really want to move away from it. I know to start with it will be handy to keep track of what I am eating but it's not where I want to be down the line. Regarding energy through the day I think because it was such a gradual change I haven't really noticed too much of a difference. I must admit I hope getting fitter and eating healthier will give me much more get up and go though.

BigJochMclintoch,

I would read this story from Steve about Staci. 

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You are at that point where if you start exercising and getting enough calories to build and sustain muscle that you should notice some possible weight gain from the increase in muscle. Eating healthy and correct is really the main point I would focus on going forward as you start to work on muscle. 

Welcome to the forums and good luck:)

Well done for what you've achieved so far, that's pretty fricking impressive, and not to be overlooked.

I'd agree with MLowe - make your main meals healthy and nutritious, that way you'll feel fuller and have more willpower when it comes to saying "no thanks" to the junk.

Welcome and good luck.

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the support and kind words you're sending  :peaceful:

I must admit I did read Staci's story. She is truly inspirational, she proved how with determination, the right attitude, a good source of knowledge and great support, you can go a long way. I must admit it is one of the reasons I joined the forum. The community just sounded so friendly and positive that I thought I'd give it a go. I must admit I really psyched about the challenges as well, I didn't even know they existed when I signed up (I'm pretty oblivious all in all). I have my induction to my gym tonight and once I know what equipment to start using, I am going to start laying down my first challenge and the battle plans to beat it!

Regarding the healthy eating, I have started scouring the internet of late for healthy recipes to try and I have even been considered giving the Paelo diet a go. I have a couple of work colleagues who have been using the Paelo diet as part of their cross fit training and some of the lunches they have prepared have been delicious and healthy at the same time. Those are two things I did not think were even possible to achieve in cooking! I noticed the forum had a recipe section as well, so I'll dive in there for inspiration when I have a free moment. If anyone knows any great recipes I'll definitely be willing to give them a go!

Thank you again for the warm welcomes, I do appreciate them.