Forums are back in action! ×

Deadlift question

(Sorry if this comes up twice, I thought I posted it but I don't think it went thru!)

Having a bit of trouble with my deads. It seems like my knees and thighs want to drift farther apart, almost to the point where they're touching my inside elbows, when I bend down to grasp the bar. It feels really awkward, but forcing my knees closer together is difficult/feels strange. I've noticed this before but its becoming worse as I add weight. Any advice??

Hmm. Not sure I understand exactly, but if I get what you're saying, I don't think it's an issue.

How wide is your stance? What's the placement of your feet, angle-wise?

Do you do squats? You knees *should* track out on squats, so that would actually be good. Likely wouldn't be as pronounced with deads, but he tendancy could be there.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I definitely wouldn't think about forcing your knees together. Like KW said, it's most likely a stance and/or grip issue. Incidentally, I actually cue what you're talking about in some athletes to help promote glute/ham recruitment during the pull. Thinking about "screwing your feet into the ground" causes your knees to go out (femurs externally rotate) and this turns on a lot of stuff (mainly glute med et al) that maybe otherwise isn't. So.. it's definitely not a "bad" thing but without knowing anything else I'd definitely say start by looking at your stance and grip. Don't be afraid to move your feet in or your hands out or both if you have to.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Thanks guys. Good to know its okay to turn out a bit, that's my natural tendency anyway (I'm a little pigeon toed).

I do do squats and my knees turn out a bit, and I turn my feet out slightly... that feels natural. I was under the impression that my feet should be straighter and less turned out for deads than squats and my knees should track straight ahead (not sure where I got that!), so is it ok to use my squat stance for deads?

My feet are about shoulder width apart. My grip is probably narrow because I've been using the mini-bars (not sure of the real name - the thinner, narrower barbells with the weights permanently attached?). Maybe if I move up to the regular barbells I can get my grip wider and get my elbows out of the way of my knees?

I'll experiment with stance and grip combos. Really appreciate the advice!

The feet/knees forward idea for deadlifts isn't incorrect. The majority of people do this with great success, but there are always exceptions to the rule. In this case the exceptions are people with "non standard" body types - those with super long legs in proportion to their torso for instance - or people with mobility issues. Just like toes and knees out helps people hit deeper squats, it helps people with structural and/or mobility issues get into a better pulling position and facilitate a better bar path.

All that said, generally you want a closer stance for your pulling movements, hip width is where to start. The other option if you really feel like you can't find the right position is to try sumo stance but that probably won't be an option until you move into regular barbells anyway.

Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

I knew it. ;)

But I'm hoping to reap the benefits of both kinds of deads.

And there's no reason you shouldn't. I fit you giraffes into decent pulling positions all the time. Takes a little more work than the average bear but it's definitely possible. As an oly guy sumo isn't really an option anyway so we break out the sledge hammer to bang people into the right conventional pulling mold.