Forums are back in action! ×

And it was only Tuesday ...

Tuesday night I made it to my first tap dance class ever, and my first dance class since a *meh* attempt at jazz dance in the 1980s. It was a lot of fun, and I was actually able to follow along without my brain imploding.

About an hour earlier, I had another treat: A friend from a now-dissolved writing group had a book launch. Despite having to be in two places at once, I made a point of driving down to the bookstore before the show to pick up a copy and get it autographed. Most of the material is at least familiar to me because I helped him edit it, but it's fantastic to get a brand new, shiny book and an autograph that made me sniffle a bit.

• Like 1

Astreja K. Odinsdóttir, socially-distanced Valkyrie
Race:  Humanoid (
Ásynja)
[ Level 9 | STR 14 | STA 18 | DEX 16 | CON 18 | WIS 19 | CHA 15 ]

Yay tap dance!  Yay dance in general.  Congratulations!

I'm taking tap too!  I'm not taking my first tap class ever, but my first-ever series of tap classes.  I've probably dropped into a dozen tap classes over the years, but right now I'm in week five of a tap class at the university where I work.  It's super fun, pretty good cardio, and has me using my body in a way that's totally different from everything else I do.

How do you like it????

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

So far, I'm absolutely loving tap.  You're absolutely right about it being fantastic cardio -- It's at an entirely different intensity than what I usually do (walking, swimming, stationary bike).

The greatest challenge, and potentially the greatest payback, is making my body movements smaller so that I can move more quickly and not fall off the beat.  It's also a great fit for my primary hobby, which is playing clarinet.  My teacher keeps telling me to "internalize the rhythm" so that I don't speed up halfway through a melodic phrase, and I'm finally starting to understand at a body level what he means by that.

Astreja K. Odinsdóttir, socially-distanced Valkyrie
Race:  Humanoid (
Ásynja)
[ Level 9 | STR 14 | STA 18 | DEX 16 | CON 18 | WIS 19 | CHA 15 ]

Hey well done!

I am so bad at dance I have absolutely no sense of rhythm, but occasionally by girlfriend drags me along and i kind of have fun.  It is interesting how we can kind of develop skills to the point where we stop thinking about them consciously.