Forums are back in action! ×

Study Strategies

There's no short cut to discipline.  Physically/electronically separating yourself from distractions as much as you can will help - turn off your phone, disconnect the Internet or set up blockers.  At the end of the day though, it's about momentum.  Force yourself to focus for the first 30 minutes, and then you'll get into a good groove and won't think twice about it.

If you quit before you even start, you'll never move forward!

Think of it, like we're supposed to think about fitness here, as a game. In fact, you might want to find a way to make a game out of it. Flash cards and quizzing yourself are a start, as well as coming up with ways of remembering things and thinking about what you're working on so that it really sinks in.

What applications can the knowledge of these things be applied to, how has this been portrayed in media (arts and entertainment)?

[For example, one of the foodborne illnesses I'm studying for my culinary classes is clostridium botulinum. I remember botulism as what young swimmer Carl Powers was poisoned with in the mini-series Sherlock that lead to his death by drowning. (Of course, that was murder, not food poisoning but it's still a way of remembering it.)]

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

I know how easy it is to be distracted. Especially nowadays when everything is all packed together on phones and computers.

The thing I find most helpful is giving myself recess. 10min every 50-60 min or 5min every 25-30min works great. I use a timer so I can see time counting down until the next break.

other things I have found useful that you may find useful:

- dedicated environment (no distractions, maybe a dedicated work space)

- alternative ways of studying (flash cards, writing things over and over again until it gets memorized, reforming/rephrasing or explaining to remember, mnemonic devices)

-->related: it may help to find 

- having "coaches" (people who you spend time with that are willing to yell at you to study and maybe even help if they are knowledgable on the topic)

- having music playing quietly if there are no outside distracting noises. A lot of people love to blast the music while they study but I prefer to have it playing quieter so that my thoughts can dominate my mental space.

- just do it. JPrev brings up a great point about discipline. There really is no short cut to taking on daunting or necessary tasks.

"You don't life for be sad, no?"