Forums are back in action! ×

NaNoWriMo?

Ugh, I'm so far behind! My main character needs to agree to the quest (which he thinks is suicidal) and I can't figure out why he would change his mind.

There are two reasons for anyone to do anything:

1. They get something they want out of it.

2. Something bad will happen if they don't.

Carrot or stick? It can even be quite subtle. Bilbo Baggins simply wanted to go on an adventure (by the time he was halfway to the Lonely Mountain, it was a bit late to change his mind!)

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Man I'm really considering it. I haven't participated since 2010, since I became so busy I couldn't find time to sit down and do creative writing.

But for the past year, every night I play the same story in my head to help me fall asleep, a gay fantasy romance, something I think fantasy literature is sorely needing. I'm so out of shape for writing now though, and three days of the week I'm out for 12+ hours... Maybe next year. 

ah, you haven't been hanging around the NaNoWriMo forums then.  They're absolutely crawling with girls writing gay fantasy romances.  But don't let that stop you, at least you'll be in good company!

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

There are two reasons for anyone to do anything:

1. They get something they want out of it.

2. Something bad will happen if they don't.

Carrot or stick? It can even be quite subtle. Bilbo Baggins simply wanted to go on an adventure (by the time he was halfway to the Lonely Mountain, it was a bit late to change his mind!)

I think I may have to change my mc a little, give him a little more/different background. "For the greater good" would not work without a good reason (he's a "no strings attached" guy and just wants to get by without too much work or trouble), but maybe I can find a good enough reason and appeal to his good heart, or something ^^ Thanks for the input!

Random helpful hint I use when I'm stuck: switch POV. My novel this year is still going strong only because I hit upon the idea to switch POVs when I got stuck. Switch to another character (especially one in another location) and describe what's going on over there for a while until something clicks and I can go back to character number one. Right now I have three and a half such threads going on and honestly if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have one of the coolest moments I've ever written about or much of a reason to continue writing this year. Not to mention if you're of the writing short camp like me (I always tend to write too short...40,000 words and I'm stuck looking around going, "what else is there possibly to say about this?? How are you all still going?!?!?" and my writing long camp friends who routinely hit six digits word counts and still don't finish a single draft just look back and me and go "how are you possibly out of things to say???") switching POVs and story threads also really helps with extending your story to fill the entire space :)

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Returns to the Grind

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

You certainly can, that's less than 2 hours of work, tops.

I on the other hand, have um 30k left to go.  Prrrrobably not gonna make it, but I'm racking up some more today and tomorrow anyhow.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.