Forums are back in action! ×

I'm taking the red pill...

Hello Rebellion,

All your base are belong to us.

Enough of the Matrix and video game references. I found this site through a link from artofmanliness.com. I was in one of the low points in that up and down roller coaster of life when I stumbled upon artofmanliness.com and started the "30 Days to a Better Man Challenge." I've been feeling a lot more in control of my life and i'm only about a 1/3 of the way through it.

This site was just way too up my alley to not give it a shot. I've been on the mailing list for a while, the articles on choosing a profession (assassin, warrior, scout, etc) and leveling up were amazingly motivational, can't tell you how many times I've played video games for over 8 hour straight.

Some background, I was a four season athlete from the summer before kindergarten through my junior year of high school, when I realized I wasn't having fun anymore, and I wanted to focus on taking AP classes to get the jump on college. Haven't worked out more than a handful of times since then. At my peak, I weighed 165 with a body fat percentage (tested by physicians to be eligible for wrestling) of about 4 percent, almost too low to wrestle; about a year later I lost ten pounds of muscle mass, and now, 7 years after that, I still only weigh 155 - my goal is still 175/180. I just haven't really done anything to get there. Until now.

I eat pretty healthy, I'm just naturally a fan of fruits veggies and protein - never really liked soda or chips or cookies. Although I haven't done any official work-outs, I tend to stay active by doing - installing hardwood flooring, pulling small trees out of the woods behind my house for bonfires (I don't have a chainsaw, most of them are around 6" - 8" in diameter and about 10' - 15' long), or just twitching my legs.

I aim to become an elf assassin, and have started working the angry birds workout and just jumping one step, about 100 times, I don't really keep count, I just keep jumping trying to focus on a quiet landing and good form, and having the balls of my feet go right where I want them to on the edge of the stair but still allow me to be balanced. Free running has always been interesting to me, this site has shown me that I need to do it if I want to be able to do it - so I am, though I'm still level one, just waiting to level up!

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

- Albert Camus