Forums are back in action! ×

WTF muscle pump

"pump" is the result of a muscle becoming engorged with blood and waste byproducts. This is a natural consequence of repeatedly and forcefully contracting a muscle. When you flex a muscle repeatedly under a load, like curling a dumbbell for 4 sets of 12 reps, the muscle produces waste products (lactic acid) which must be flushed out of the tissue. Excessive lactic acid buildup happens rapidly, and results in the burning sensation toward the end of a set. It's your body's way of shutting down what you're doing, so you don't injure yourself. Of course, this game is all about pushing that limit, and working beyond what your brain is telling you your muscles are capable of.

I thought the pump was a desired affect but I find it unwanted and harder to continue working out once I reach this point.

Ah, ok. I think I get the question. Others' understanding may differ, but I've never understood muscle pump and lactic acid buildup to be precisely the same thing (though they can be related). Muscle pump is more about the increase in blood flow to the muscles - it's designed to increase the nutrient flow to the muscles during and after exercise (following strength training your body needs the increase in nutrients to rebuild the muscle fibers you've broken down, which is part of the process of getting stronger). Muscle pump can last for a day or two. Lactic acid, on the other hand, is built up when you're working in an anaerobic state. Your body is constantly clearing out lactic acid, but if you work in an anaerobic state for long enough and with little enough rest, the lactic acid will build up faster than your body can clear it. Your muscles start burning and performance plummets. 

You've got a few options then. If you're strength training and lactic acid is building up to the point that you're unable to complete a workout, then you probably need more rest between sets. Moving around a bit can help lactic acid clear (walk around, bend and unbend your legs, shake out your arms, etc). Having carbs in your system (consuming carbs before a workout and during if it's a long session) can keep your glycogen reserves from bottoming out, which helps with lactic acid buildup. 

In the longer term, lactic acid threshold and your body's ability to recover can be improved. It will happen naturally as you get more training experience, but specific training like sprint intervals are a great way to maximize thist. Look up lactic acid threshold training for some specific ideas. 

• Like 1

Stretching helps.  You might be doing too much volume too.  Are you doing higher reps with lighter weights?  Try doing more sets, less reps, and heavier weight.  You can get the same net volume with more sets, and you'll progress a little faster with the heavier resistance. 

I guess I should have prefaced with this:  What does your workout look like?