Forums are back in action! ×

starting out (again)

Any tips for our workout?

My husband and I are in our early 50's and have become overweight and unfit.  
We work long hours in our business and live in a remote area where there is no gym or swimming pool.

We have won a trip to a resort for a week and we plan to spend the whole week in the resorts gym and pool and use our time to kick start our fitness again and so I can get some flexibility back so I can exercise easier  (it hurts to move at the moment :(

We both weigh between 112kgs and 130 kgs.

Last time I tried to use gym equipment I was too large for most of the machines so I might have to do my workout in the pool.

I've done water aerobics before when we lived in the city and can remember the routine.  But would like to give the treadmill and weights a bit of a go

Hi welcome to Nerd Fitness

Starting your workouts in a pool is a great idea as is anything low impact. Cycling will be perfect!

If you are going to be picking up iron then start super low and ensure your form is perfect, get someone trained to check, or if you have no one to hand then film the lifts and pop them on here.

I wouldn't add iron for things like squats yet, just focus on bodyweight squats, starting off going a quarter of the way down and then increasing the depth

Thanks so much Daniel,  we were thinking exactly the same thing and hoping we were on the right track.

Food will be a challenge as there's no kitchen facilities in the resort room.

I'm taking the Magic Bullet and will be making our green smoothies in the room to start the day off and stocking up on protein in the bar fridge!  

I'm diabetic so will be minimilising carbs and I've had gastric banding which did not work for me with diet,  gotta kick up the exercise to get the weight off I know