Forums are back in action! ×

Just felt like it was good manners to post here before I pitch in elsewhere. I'm 23 years old, a complete nerd, and I'm here because I'm trying to make some changes to my eating and concentrate on my fitness.

I'm not overweight or in bad shape at the minute. I'm about 140 pounds, 5'5. I do distance running (poorly). But I've got a real problem binge eating on carbohydrate-y foods, and I've always known that's not right. I'm a little obsessive and easily addicted by nature, so I assumed it was just another aspect of my personality.

But I work in healthcare and I've always felt like a bit of a hypocrite giving people advice when I have such ropey eating habits. So I started researching nutrition a little more thoroughly and that brought me round to the primal-paleo way of thinking. I've decided to cut out grains and legumes (previously 60% of my diet) while still having a high intake of starchy vegetables like sweet potato and carrot, to help with endurance.

I've used up all my pasta and bread over the course of last week and yesterday was my first full primal day.

I feel terrible.

I've heard of carb-flu, but urgh! I have a headache trying to nose its way through a gram of paracetamol, a weird drawing sensation in my head that won't let up and even my body feels sluggish. I feel lightheaded when I stand up and I've been hitting the caffeine pretty hard, which was next on my list of things to give up. I went out for a run, ran head-first into the wall and had to stagger home with my tail between my legs.

I know the answer's more fat, eat more generally and tough it out. But I'm dreading going to work feeling like I'm feeling.

So I decided to join a forum to spare my IRL friends my whinging and so I can get some advice when I need it. I chose this one because not all my goals are fitness or nutritionally based and because I really am a shameless geek and I really identify with the level-up mentality.

So hello, I'll be around. I'll probably clock in for the next six week challenge.

Yeah, tapering off is the way to go for some. I went all out at first about six weeks ago, then backed off after a few days, adding some sweet potatoes and dark chocolate into certain meals to help the massive carb deficit my brain was struggling with. Definitely took the edge off my case of carb flu!

>> Jay

BLOG ~ TWITTER

It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity. -- Rollo May