Forums are back in action! ×

Deadlifting After Spezzy

After finally losing weight and getting ripped: Read My Story Here, after getting inspired by Saint.

I was challenged by Spezzy's story in how much she deadlifted. She is 5'4" and 141 lbs and she can DEADLIFT 315 lbs!!!! What da hell! I'm 5'8" 149 lbs and I couldn't do that much then.

So on leg days, I deadlifted and strived to do at least 315 lbs but I struggled and struggled.

I struggled with 255 lbs for 1 rep and the bench mark standard for strength was twice your body weight so I should be doing 300 lbs at least.

But what do you know....my form was wrong.

So I watched

. A week later and after learning the correct way to deadlift, I tried 275lbs and I deadlifted it with ease.

The following week, I deadlifted to 315 lbs!!! I caught up to Spezzy! YEAH!!!! =D

But then in the Atlanta NF Meetup...found out from our Rebellion leader Steve that she is working her way up to 350 lbs =*(

Spezzy slow down! I just caught up!

Guest Snake McClain

This...how do you do this? I have never been able to dead lift, squat or bench very much. I need some help in this area because for teh 6 week challenge I want to do a little of all of these. Any help?

This...how do you do this? I have never been able to dead lift, squat or bench very much. I need some help in this area because for teh 6 week challenge I want to do a little of all of these. Any help?

Everyone starts with bodyweight or the bar. No one jumps right into benching 200lbs.

Start with the bar and make sure your form is good. Next workout, add 5lbs to it. When you can't complete your sets with good form, stop adding weight and try the same weight next workout. If you still can't complete it, deload by 10 or 20% and work back up to it.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Sorry for the late reply.

Yea...I've been deadlifting and squatting for a few years using the wrong form. That's why I was able to lift as heavy as I was.

Start with the bar and NAIL down that form. Form is important.

If you want to level up and get strong, see what your max is. Then do 80-90% of your max for several reps and work your way up. You'll get strong in no time.

I've just begun deadlifting and i'm finding it pretty difficult to get the form right off the bat.. I just hear all these stories of people who took 4 years to learn it the right way and i think to myself... God i hope that doesnt happen.

Mitch S - Level 4 Scientist Adventurer

Wielding The Slightly Pointed Lute of Power and Dented Roman Helmet
STR :11 DEX :5 STA :7 CON :8.5 WIS :8 CHA :7
My first challenge : An Adventurer Underwater

My second challenge : Electric Boogaloo

Challenge Number 3 : On the Run
“Pray for rain all you like, but dig a well as you do it.†- Steven King The Dark Tower

Guest Carjack

Nobody takes years to learn the deadlift unless they were taught it all wrong. The best instruction comes from places like Westside Barbell and Diesel Crew.

Put some effort into it while you train your lats and grip frequently. I bet you'll be surprised how fast it goes up.