Forums are back in action! ×

New Guy On The Block

Hello everyone,

My interests have always been in the realm of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, whether it be through writing, movies, video games, etc. I especially love The Legend of Zelda and Phantasy Star Online, but haven't pursued much in the way of entertainment recently(I've watched some Sword Art Online and have been listening to The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and narrated by Charlton Griffin).

I'm a development operations engineer for a web development company, so I spend a ton of time sitting. On top of that, it was revealed a couple of years ago that I'm afflicted with a strange condition. This condition resulted in one total hip replacement early last year...and I'm looking to have the other done next year sometime before the summer. I'm incredibly young for the procedure, but it has been one of the best things to ever happen to me. My doctor recommends I exercise regularly, to maintain an average weight and remain an ideal candidate for future operations: if done properly, I may be able to walk for the rest of my life. He asks I avoid high-impact on my hips(particularly running, or jumping). 

All of the dull work/medical aside: I once took Kenpo, and I have to say that was the most fit I have ever been. I was strong, and confident. But I was never built, exactly. I really want to get where I was before, with true, functional fitness. Perhaps someone has an idea as to where I should start around here? I look forward to getting to know you and possibly become more immersed in the community. 

Regards

Asterisk
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Hi there,

welcome to NF :)

Well, that's a bummer about your hip. You look pretty young on that profile pic :-/

There's tons of stuff around and I've seen some things floating around for people who have different kinds of injuries and such. You might want to have a look at some of the bodyweight stuff. It's very functional and probably doesn't count as too "high impact", though when in doubt, check with your doc. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I get the young thing a lot. 24, so I'm especially concerned about making it last. I don't want to completely restrict myself and hide in a hole, but it's obvious I don't want to do anything stupid. My doctor's completely on board as long as I don't beat it up. I've already started poking around the forums and getting a feel for how things work. I'll go with your suggestion and look into the bodyweight stuff, and maybe while I'm searching I'll find folks in my situation who are getting the most out of their fitness goals without putting themselves at risk of injury or early revisions to their implants.

Edit: What's weird is that the search field filters the word "hip". Search results must be indexed on this site because I've never encountered a search field that had a minimum text character requirement. 

Asterisk
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]