Forums are back in action! ×

HIIT: or How I learned to Stop Worrying and How to Love the Treadmill

If this is in the wrong spot, blame my noob status.

So today was my first time doing HIIT. It was on a treadmill. And it was a revelation. It was fun! I enjoy running but on a treadmill it's a mental battle. Today I was literally sticking out my tongue in excited anticipation of the sprinting session. Of course by the end I was dreading the end of the rest period (I did 1 minute surge, 2 minutes rest) because I knew I shouldn't stop until I was that spent.

Key moment: feeling excited about the next surge while looking down to see I had been going for 15 minutes. If I were just going at a constant clip for 15 minutes I would have been slugging it out at that point. I feel an adrenaline surge just remembering it.

I just wanted to share my excitement somewhere, HIIT is great!

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Nice! I quite enjoy doing intervals on my exercise bike. At least I did when I was doing intervals at about the same intensity as you are - I have since started doing semi-Tabata (20sec on/20sec off) and it makes me hate the damn thing - so I'm tempted to go on back to the way I was doing it. But I know what you mean - it's good to get excited about the hard work part :P

I still find myself feeling more excited about lifting really heavy things, though, but I know that the intervals are doing my heart and legs a load of good and so I stick with it :)

I just got home from my first HIIT on the treadmill and I felt the same way! I was always a sprinter, even in high school. I hated long distance anything. I wanted to go from A to B and get it over with as fast as possible. I was able to do 45 sec surge and 1.5 min rest. And like you I was having fun for the first time ever on a treadmill. No headphones to distract me, no having to stare at the tv and zoning out. Completely focused on my time and balance, didn't want to fly off the the thing!

I'm glad someone else had this experience! I had my second session last night and it was not as fun, though I still got through it 100%. It got hard at the end fighting to not go flying off! That is probably because I did a decent lifting-with-legs workout the day before and was still sore. I also tried to up the incline from 0 to 1 with the mindset of pushing myself a little harder every workout to never let myself get comfortable.

I definitely enjoy long runs outside where I get to soak in the sights and sounds, but for treadmills I am quickly realizing that HIIT is the way to go. It reminds me of hill courses in high school cross country, sprinting up hills but jogging in between.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.