Forums are back in action! ×

Failed Movie Series pre-Internet

I came into an idea tonight while watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes..a movie, spun off from numerous older movies.

We see today how new movies, created to have sequels or pre-quels have failed.  Most often times because of the internet, sites such as imdb or rotten tomatoes and their reviews, in addition to social media in general.

The idea behind the thread calls into question how these new advances might have impacted previous movies we've seen expanded or repeated today.  Would they have been done so if social media was the same in the past?  Would the Godfather series have been more than one movie?  Would Star Wars?  Would Star Trek have so many off shoots?

My idea is this..think outside the box for a bit, think about mindsets at the time, or the contents of the movies.

What movies in the past (let's say before Al Gore invented the internet..say 1990 or beyond) do you think would not have gone on, would not have off shoots, or have the following of today if these tools existed before now? And while you list them, perhaps list why you think they would've failed in that time?

I think this could be a great item to discuss.

• Like 1

Omg that's an interesting concept. Wonder if it would have a bit of similar impact on video games of the past a well. Humm

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I think we can safely say Star Wars would have had its sequels, however they probably would be significantly different than the sequels we know today.  Episode IV was immensely popular, but with social media and the like, Episodes V and VI probably would have been re-written after seeing fan feedback from Episode IV.   Or maybe not.  It was George Lucas after all.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

To bring another element into this thought, what if it's not the ratings that kills sequels/prequels... what if it's the trailers?

Example: I saw this point made in a video, but I remember thinking it when I saw the trailer.

Castaway, if you watch the trailer

At 2:00... they ruin the entire movie with a single sentence. "You were lost for 4 years"

You now know that he get's off the island... there is no suspense of whether he makes it or not, you're just waiting for when he does. Many trailers have started doing this, and since they show practically the entire movie, there's no point in going to see it, and therefore... no sequel, though I do realize Castaway doesn't make for a very good lead-in to a sequel. That was just the first instance I can recall of it.

If you look at the original Alien trailer...

By the end of the trailer, you know.... very little. There's just enough to capture your curiosity and make you want to see the rest.

Another example of trailers ruining movies... Drive, if you watch the trailer you get the idea that it's a high speed action flick.

So you go into expecting something more akin to Fast and Furious, or Need for Speed.... when the reality is that the movie is a very methodically paced movie that is far from either of those movies. So people end up disappointed... and again.. no sequel.

Just a couple more thoughts to bring into the discussion.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

So you go into expecting something more akin to Fast and Furious, or Need for Speed.... when the reality is that the movie is a very methodically paced movie that is far from either of those movies. So people end up disappointed... and again.. no sequel.

Just a couple more thoughts to bring into the discussion.

This happens a lot actually.  Also, if you want some humorous looks at what trailers could be like, check out Honest Trailers on youtube.

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

This happens a lot actually.  Also, if you want some humorous looks at what trailers could be like, check out Honest Trailers on youtube.

Yeah... it's getting bad... I've seen videos talking about trailers that have scenes created JUST for the trailer too...

Watch them all the time... them and CinemaSins

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)