Forums are back in action! ×

I signed up for the forum a couple of weeks ago and have started going to the gym and eating better since then, so I thought maybe I should try to be active here instead of just lurking.  

I'm forty, I'm not super-out of shape.  About three and a half years ago I started doing bjj and a little while after that I added some muay thai classes.  I really liked doing the mma training thing but when my membership contract with the school I was going to ran out I realized that it was taking up way too much of my time and I had other areas of my life I needed to focus on.  I was also getting tired of always having at least a few of my fingers all sprained and crooked.

Recently I realized that I was eating pretty poorly and I'd gained about twenty pounds in a couple of months, so I decided that I should do something about that before it became a real problem.  

I never thought I'd be the kind of person who would go to a gym.  The idea was kind of frightening.  I was actually always reluctant to lift weights at all.  I was worried that I'd bulk up but doing a lot of body weight exercises in my apartment never worked out for long.  I found a lot of them to be pretty boring and time consuming  if I didn't have some angry sounding guy yelling at me to keep going.  I also tried running but I really hated doing that, too.  

So I decided to try going to a gym and lifting weights after reading some posts here and on Tim Ferriss's blog.  

I do have some more specific questions, but I should probably try to ask them in the appropriate places.