Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from the Philly area. 

I found Nerd Fitness while looking for something new to motivate my getting back into game shape. I loved playing sports, especially street hockey (too poor for ice) when I was younger, and want to be able to play again. Now I'm rounder and not as mobile after tearing my ACL a little while ago.

It would be great to be able to be as active as I was for sport, but I am also needing to be in better shape as my wife and I are trying to start a family. I'm going to need all the energy I can muster if we have to chase after little ones. Any good habits I can begin now will be great examples for any children, and start them off right.

I feel my wife and I eat very well, but am wondering about grains like oatmeal (typical breakfast) and quinoa pasta (one dinner a week). Veggies and a protein for lunch, same for dinner. Fish, turkey, chicken, venison, goat are typical, mostly fish (3x per week). Almost everything is organic, wild caught, grass fed and as local as we can get it. 

I could use some help in starting an exercise routine. I am interested in free weights and becoming much stronger than I am now. I also know I need work on my cardio and stamina. For these reasons, I think I am most suited for the Ranger profile, but any suggestions from the group would be welcomed.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place, it looks like a ton of fun, and if I can help anyone out, I will.

Later on!

Hey! Sounds like you're pretty clued up about healthy diet etc already.

Have you checked out the Power Lifting & Weight Lifting section of the forum yet? There's loads of people who will gladly help you out getting started and building a routine. Lots of people on here do Stronglifts 5x5 which is a really good beginners program, or Starting Strength, also good.

There's another 6 week challenge starting on November 10th and although you would have to start as a Level 1, it would probably be good for you to "follow" some of the challenge threads in the Warriors Guild to get to know some of the folks and see what other people are doing. It's a great source of information/ motivation.

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously