Forums are back in action! ×

Giving a Free Xbox 360 to Family in Need: Need Ideas

Hi everyone,

I know this is a pretty solid group of people here, so I'm looking for some advice. I couldn't find a better spot to post this.

I'm upgrading to the Xbox One, and I will still have my Xbox 360. Instead of selling it like I was going to, I'm going to give it to a family in need for Christmas.

When I was around 12, my parents (who were very poor) managed to buy me a Crystal Edition Xbox for Christmas with Fable. It was the best Christmas I ever had, and the joy I felt from it will never be forgotten. I'm sure my parents felt incredibly happy too, being able to give me that. So now it's time to spread the joy a little bit. I want to help another parent give their children an incredible Christmas, but I am unsure of how to go about it.

So my question is this: how do I decide who is actually in need and not just trying to rip me off?

Any ideas? I don't know anybody in the city I live in, and I can't just be like "Hey, show me your welfare pay stubs", you know what I mean? I'm keeping it local.

Help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Matt

TL;DR: Giving away Xbox 360 to a family in need this Christmas. How do I do this without getting ripped off?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice in your head at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow." - Mary Anne Radmacher

Churches, St. Vincent's locations and the Salvation Army often are very helpful.  But, Catspaw is right.  A children's hospital would put it to very good use. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Not a shabby idea, Catspaw. I remember when I was hospitalized for a month and had to stay in CHEO when I was in Grade 1, and having videogames really helped. Thanks to you as well, Jinn. Much appreciated.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice in your head at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow." - Mary Anne Radmacher

I agree the hospital is a GREAT idea! I still remember when I was hopsitalized after a bad car accident when I was 8, and I was beyond thankful there was a gaming console there to occupy me.  It was either watch TV which didn't last long because there wasn't many channels, and nothing good on.. or a gaming console that would keep me entertained for hours, and forget about my pain.. YUP! I chose the console.

Mad props to you man, that's really awesome of you!

Zendikara

Level 1

Night Elf Adventurer

STR  2 ||  DEX  1 ||  STA 1 || CON 1 ||WIS 9 || CHA 3

Between Heaven and Hell

Nerfiwrich challenge

Previous Challenges =11/10/14

Goal: Pay off Visa

12%
12%

I honestly donated all of my original Xbox stuff to Goodwill almost two years ago..that route is almost always open as well.  I knew I could've still sold it for money, or gotten a decent trade in..decided to make someone's Christmas/Birthday better by just giving it up in that manner..hell, I never even cashed in on the tax rebates.

I'd also recommend talking to local churches and see if they have ideas, just a few weeks ago I donated about half of my clothing to a church..if you see any homeless people in Chicago wearing Jimmy John's shirts..they were probably mine at one point.. :)

Several churches and nonprofits in my area do "angel trees" where you pull an ornament off of the tree and it lists a child's age, gender, and a gift they would like for Christmas.

If you could get in touch with one of these organizations you might be able to find out if there is a child that would like to have this. Usually these organizations only accept new gifts, but I think this would be a worthy exception.

Also, my parents bought a used Nintendo for me one year when a friend of theirs upgraded to a Sega. I was beyond excited, and I still have the console to this day. 

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.