Forums are back in action! ×

An old but new n00b ....

Hi all - I've been lurking on this site for awhile and finally decided to join. I'm 42 and have had a lifetime issue with being overweight (sometimes very overweight). While I have lost large amounts of weight in the past, the last 6 months have seen me do something entirely different: lose weight in a healthy way. Meaning, instead of starving myself, being miserable and expecting things to change immediately, I did my research this time. This site was part of my research. This time, I made realistic goals and had realistic expectations, I ate a mostly paleo diet, I didn't starve myself, I didn't trash-talk myself when I cheated,  I finally started lifting weights and ... I feel like Wonder Woman. I'm down 35 pounds, really enjoy the way I look and now i have actual muscles. I can actually lift weights, I actually have good form. I look forward to my workouts, which is the strangest thing! What's even weirder is that, I don't care about being "thin", I want to be stronger!

Anyway, I'm here now to just maintain. Really glad to meet everyone ...

Elizabeth

• Like 2

Yay! Well done, that's awesome. It's amazing what a slight change in attitude and a little knowledge about diet and exercise can do.

Like you, I lost a lot of weight but did it the "wrong" way. Meaning that I virtually starved myself for several months and then was surprised that I put the weight back on when I started eating normally again. Doh! *facepalm*

Are you following any kind of program for your lifting? Just curious - I'm always interested in what other people do and looking to pick up nuggets of information.

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I don't have a real lifting "plan" since i have been working with a trainer. However, I'm going to start StrongLifts and see how that goes. I also do BodyPump classes, which I know is a different kind of lifting but I like it. I have also read the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and that is also a program I might try. What do you do?

I work with a trainer too, so I pretty much just do as I'm told, lol! I'd love to start StrongLifts, but I've got a few issues that are getting in the way. I'm always jealous of what other people can lift, my numbers are so puny by comparison.

SevenofSeven is about your age (I think) and she's doing Stronglifts at the moment. You should check out her battle log, or follow her during the next challenge. She's an inspiration.

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously