Forums are back in action! ×

Sore Knees

Hello Rebels!

I just started Body weight workouts a few days ago. Prior to starting, I had done a 30 day challenge on EA active for the Wii. That involved a ton of squats and lunges. While doing the 30 days, I noticed that muscles just above and on the inside of my knees were extremely sore after doing heavy leg exercise. I chalked it up to my body adjusting to the new exercises. Once I found NF, I started watching videos and realized that I was doing the squats and lunges wrong and pushing my knees out too far. Doh! I wish EA would have given better directions on how to do them.

So my question is, should I continue doing the squats and lunges even though my knees still hurt? They don't hurt while I'm doing the actual exercise anymore because I'm doing them correctly, but they are sore doing normal activity. Or should I wait and do something else in the mean time to allow them to heal. I've never had problems with my knees, so I'm not sure what the best approach is.

Added note: Doing HIIT on a treadmill doesn't hurt at all. So I can definitely do that.

Thanks for any advice.

Personally, I would just give your legs a break for a week. Also ice, you probably have inflammation. Do stretches and walking and upper body excercises. A week or two of giving your knees a chance to heal isn't going to make a huge slowdown in your goals, and will probably help in the long run.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Back from the doctor's office. I managed to strain my meniscus in my right knee (hopefully not a small tear). Since it's the range of motion that causes pain, I have to refrain from exercises that bend my knee too much. I can do squats, but only at 20-40% until my knee heals and then I can go lower. It should take 1-2 months.

The shoulder squats do the same range of motion, so even though that was a good idea, I can't do them. But at least I can still do something!

when you can do squats again feel free to videotape and post it. we'll let you know what you're doing right/wrong :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”