Forums are back in action! ×

I signed up here around 18 months ago and completed a couple of challenges, part of the process of figuring out how to reverse the results of a quarter century of not particularly wise decisions in the field of health and fitness. I drifted away while still figuring things out, and am now back because I missed the community. I'm a 46 year old fat guy from Vancouver, BC, as opposed to last time I wrote one of these posts when I was a 45 year old fat guy from Vancouver.

The good news is that I've had some breakthroughs in my approach to food and diet, resolving some personal issues that made it hard for me to stick to a weight loss plan. So since July, I've dropped about 19 kg, through calorie counting. Still at least 30 kg to go, but at least I have a process that works.

My major exercise focus at the moment is lifting weights; I follow a permutation of Wendler's 5/3/1 program. Not because I'm an intermediate lifter - my numbers are firmly in the beginner category - but rather because it allows for each major muscle group to have a lot of recovery time while still getting me into the gym four times a week. I've found I just don't recover quickly enough to handle the standard beginner routines that work the whole body three times a week. And if I don't go to the gym at least that often, it becomes too easy to skip it altogether.

Thanks, and good luck out there.

"Curtain's up. Everyone's waiting for the hero to take the stage. And the spotlight's on you now." - Alfred, to Dick Grayson, Batman and Robin #2

Current Challenge