Forums are back in action! ×

Ready for level 2

Vos

Hey fellow rebels. I've been working out fairly regularly since I signed up and I've made some notable progress. Everyone who knows me says I've lost weight, and I've noticed it too. I don't know my exact weight though. I don't like weighing myself and since I'm working out mainly to look visually appealing (shallow I know, but everyone has their motivation right?) I don't see a point to doing so. Anyway I've done well enough with the basics. I've mastered the beginner body weight regiment but I've hit a plateau. I need something more intense now.

Here's my battle log, this documents what I've done so far.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/47326-getting-shredded-before-the-fall/

Goals

I want a shredded body that's also functional, like Stephen Amell in Arrow. 

What I'm Looking For

I need a new workout regiment that I can follow religiously. It should be done within the span of two hours per workout. 4 days a week and can be repeated with increased difficulty as my strength develops. I'm a ranger class rebel so I'd prefer a mix of calisthenics, weight-lifiting, and some cardio thrown in to burn fat. Now I don't want someone to just give me a regiment, what I need from the community is ideas and suggestions for things to look into, maybe a few links to posts and articles here on NF. After I've done the the research I'll write down a regiment I think will work and then I was thinking you guys could give me the yay or nay. 

I went to a nutritionist recently. She gave me a diet that seems solid enough. I'm trying to lose fat and build muscle with heavier emphasis on the gaining of muscle. This diet plan was made to work in conjunction with my schools dining hall which is why it seems very specific.

Breakfast

Egg white omelet with spinach, tomatoes, cheese

2 slices whole wheat toast

2 tablespoons peanut butter

1 large banana

Lunch
Large spinach salad (2 cups) with 3 oz grilled chicken, 
3/4 cup kidney and garbanzo beans, 
3/4 cup mixed bell peppers, 
tomato, 
carrots

1 tablespoon chipotle sauce

1 large apple

Snack 
1 cup mixed fruit

6-7 low-fat whole wheat crackers

2 tablespoons hummus

Dinner 
3 oz lean chicken, fish, beef with minimal sauce

3/4 cup whole wheat pasta

1/2 cup marinara sauce

1 cup mixed steamed vegetables

1 tablespoon olive oil for veggies

Snack (eat after workout)
1 container fat-free Chobani yogurt with 
1 cup berries

I disliked that diet the moment I saw "Egg white omelet". I'm hardly an expert, but Ive been reading up on nutrition (cause the doc keeps whining about my cholesterol). Recent studies indicate that to lose weight and live healthier you're better of with a low carb high fat diet. The reason it works is because a diet high in protein and fat is very filling.

So what works for me (might not work for you) is cutting out all carbs aside from an orange (and sometimes and apple). To go with that I eat full fat yoghurt (usually bout 500gr, not flavored), drink whole milk (mostly one whey shake in the morning and a second after training on training days) it usually amounts to about 1l a day, eat at least 4 whole eggs a day, eat one warm meal with only meats and veggies (mainly chicken breast cause its cheap in bulk) and add a piece of regular young cheese once or twice a day and consume about 200gr of fatty fish. To add to fruits I eat an avocado about 4 times a week, I also munch on the occasional carrot.

I'll repeat this works for me and it's not a nutritionist approved plan (I'm currenetly starting a course to certify as a trainer but not certified yet). The basic rule I follow is to get to at least 200gr of protein a day (this is about 1g per pound of bodyweight for me), I don't need any grains or other carbs because I have enough energy from the fats in my diet.

If you do try this keep in mind that while fats can perfectly supply all your energy needs, it takes a week or 2 for your body to get used to not having carbs so you may feel a bit low on energy for that period. Also the first thing to go if I wanna lose weight faster would be the cheese.

I got this info from "cholesterol clarity" by Jimmy Moore together with some experimentation and research of my own. If anyone catches any mistakes or knows some info that contradicts what Ive learned let me know, I'm always willing to learn :D

What I'm Looking For

I need a new workout regiment that I can follow religiously. It should be done within the span of two hours per workout. 4 days a week and can be repeated with increased difficulty as my strength develops. I'm a ranger class rebel so I'd prefer a mix of calisthenics, weight-lifiting, and some cardio thrown in to burn fat. Now I don't want someone to just give me a regiment, what I need from the community is ideas and suggestions for things to look into, maybe a few links to posts and articles here on NF. After I've done the the research I'll write down a regiment I think will work and then I was thinking you guys could give me the yay or nay.

If all you're looking for is a resource (and I applaud your desire for self-study; it's addictive [emoji1]), I think you may find Ross Enamit's work fits the bill. Specifically, look into his books Never Gymless and Infinite Intensity. He advocates using whatever equipment or training style is available instead of being a bodyweight purist or a barbell aficionado. He's a very down to earth guy and believes in the value of hard work and diligence. And there's strength training, cardio, and progression all laid out in his stuff, without Rippetoe's "follow this program EXACTLY or FAIL AT EVERYTHING" attitude.

For full disclosure, I am following Ripp's program exactly at the moment. I simply recognize (and caricature) his message [emoji6]

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

If all you're looking for is a resource (and I applaud your desire for self-study; it's addictive [emoji1]), I think you may find Ross Enamit's work fits the bill. Specifically, look into his books Never Gymless and Infinite Intensity. He advocates using whatever equipment or training style is available instead of being a bodyweight purist or a barbell aficionado. He's a very down to earth guy and believes in the value of hard work and diligence. And there's strength training, cardio, and progression all laid out in his stuff, without Rippetoe's "follow this program EXACTLY or FAIL AT EVERYTHING" attitude.

For full disclosure, I am following Ripp's program exactly at the moment. I simply recognize (and caricature) his message [emoji6]

Thanks this looks like a good place to start.

Ok so I went for a run with a friend today. I thought it'd be boring but it proved to be fun. We made plans to get up at 5 every weekday (except wednesdays) to go running. I think a half hour of intense running every morning should do it for my cardio.

My friend has the specifics for how it is we'll be training every morning, I'll post them later.

So now I can focus on the strength and muscle building. I'm thinking I'll start by devising a more intense version of beginner body-weight, and relegate it to specific days. Also I can't do a full pull-up yet. I know Steve made an article awhile back on what to do to get there can anyone pass me the link please?

I started my level 2 battle log. Also I've decided to downgrade the level of intensity by which I follow the routine. By that I don't mean I'm going to be working less hard, in fact I intend to work even harder. What I mean is I'm going to stop trying to develop a regiment that I will follow religiously and instead focus on increasing my repertoire of exercises so that I can work on what I'm in the mood to work on. Also I learned a few nifty things about target heart rate recently. Here's the link to the video. 

http://www.iamalpham.com/index.php/topics/target-heart-rate/