Forums are back in action! ×

Hello fellow Rebels!

I'm at work, and a guest asked me if there was a local Makerspace or Hackerspace in the area. I know the guys who run it personally, so the question is easy to answer and contact information can be exchanged. Well, after he left, it occurred to me to ask if there were any Rebels out there into the same thing.

So, are there any Rebels out there involved in the Maker movement? Do you participate in making, hacking, tinkering, or any other related activities? Do you go to a local Makerspace or Hackerspace in your area? If you do, what kind of things do you work on? What are you interested in? Are you working on any projects at the moment?

I'm just curious to see if there was anyone else around here involved in that kind of hobby. I have a B.S. in Physics, but circuits were probably my weakest subject in school. Electronics is still new to me, but I've been trying to learn as much as possible. It's great fun too. I haven't had the chance yet to really get involved in the local Makerspace here, but I plan to when I get the chance. 

I work in a science museum, specifically a hands-on physics and chemistry lab space. I design a lot of activities, classes, and workshops for people to participate in and learn concepts on STEM subjects. We started a Maker workshop series that I've been really pushing along. I've played with Arduinos, Makey-Makeys, and all kinds of things. We also have six 3D printers at work (two of which I'm more or less in charge of). We also have a laser cutter, but I'm waiting for the next laser cutter training session (I missed the first one).

Right now, I'm trying to get the Thing-O-Matic's extruder reversed. I'm not sure why it started inverse extruding, but it's gotta go out on the museum floor this week to spit out parts for people to use.

I heard there is one around where I live. Don't know where.

I like to sometimes rip old electronics down (cool see the working of them). Yet do something with the parts.

As 3D printers and lazer cutters, can I work there? I always wanted to try them out.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Haha, if you live in Charlotte, here is our current job listing.

It's only more than 14 hours away from I live.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I have a reasonably well equipped wood shop that I rarely use, but I wouldn't say I'm part of the maker movement.

Your job sounds incredible. How'd you land that?

I volunteered. I wanted to work in the interactive education scene, but I didn't have the job experience. I figured that if I volunteered, I'd get the job experience that I needed, whether it ended in a job there or somewhere else. It ended up being a job there. The old manager of the lab was a big believer in designing, building, and inventing exhibit pieces on your own, which is what the lab space became. He was a pretty big inventor/maker himself, but he's so good at it, he's doing it at the Smithsonian now. But the lab space stayed that way after he left; two 3D printers and all. The general lab manager, my co-worker in the lab space itself, and a lot of other people who work there, some higher on the chain and some at the same level, hold to the same philosophy. They also want to create our own Makerspace in the museum too. We technically have two such spaces already, but none that really include electronics or anything like that. The closest thing we have are the workshop series.