Forums are back in action! ×

Respawn One: Thanksgiving Funeral

Hello Nerd Fitness! 

I would usually keep my "fall off the bandwagon" problems to myself but...maybe it's time to try something new. 

I knew that family dinner on Thankgiving was going to throw a wrench in my healthy eating plan, so I decided to call it my "free day" (I have one a week) and let myself enjoy it fully. That was a good plan, I think. 

Then my grandmother died the day before Thanksgiving. I admit to lots and lots of emotional food (and drink) choices in the last week.  I want to be reasonable with myself, but I also don't want to give up all the progress I've made in the last 6 weeks. 

So I guess now Is the perfect time for a respawn. 

Ohhh honey.  Major hugs to you.  My grandfather died recently too, so I have some idea of what you're going through with the emotional eating and everything.  And of course it doesn't help that you're basically surrounded by comfort foods that people keep bringing by for lack of anything else to do or say.  Even I'm having a hard time coming up with the right things to say here. :)

One thing that helped me work past some of the emotional eating (which is a trigger of mine anyway) is knowing how concerned my grandfather was about my health, and how much he enjoyed celebrating any sort of milestone with me.  When we were kids, he taught all of us grandkids how to play tennis and golf, and as we got older, he was always concerned about our health.  It helps to be able to think that my grandfather would approve of the good choices I'm making, and whenever I screw up and eat, drink, or do something that isn't super healthy, I can hear him in my head from tennis practice saying "Don't worry about that ball, it's already gone past.  Keep your eye on the next one, make it a good shot!"

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."