Forums are back in action! ×

Respawn - Continue? [Y] -or- N

Okay, so I'm not doing so great at this whole mission. I feel like I want to be in the game but I'm still at the stage where any little obstacle is a good enough reason not to do something. I've been semi-trying to get healthier for over a year now.

When I first started I do what I always do for something, I geeked out. I got a gym membership, I got a fitbit, and I got excited to change things.

The first thing I tried to do was alter my diet, I stopped drinking soda (which was kind of a big deal for me, I'm someone who was always seen with Dr. Pepper) and started drinking water. I started eating breakfast (either something small, or a protein shake on days I went to the gym). For the most part this is the thing I'm doing the best with. I still have 1-2 cans of soda a week, but compared to the gallons I was drinking before, I'm okay with this so far.

I went to the gym 3-5 days a week in the morning, and ran on the treadmill. I went from feeling like I belonged to the "Ministry of Silly Walks Employee Fitness Program" to running about 4 miles on a good day. Whenever I'd go to the gym I'd go to the treadmill, and at first I lost about 20 pounds, and then it stopped. This was really discouraging, and the first excuse.

But then winter happened, and I didn't feel like getting up and going to the gym in the morning. This was the second excuse.

I did try to do something I suck at (but was having fun with) by getting a pass to the new ice skating rink in town. I've never went ice skating before this, but I thought "Ehh, it'll be exciting," and it was. I just couldn't get anyone else into it with me, and at a certain point you just seem like a crazy person when you're making a fool of yourself without anybody out there to laugh with (at) you. This was the third excuse.

I've been reading the emails that get sent, and I really think that trying weight training would help me start getting results again. The downside to this is I have no idea what I'm doing, and I really don't want to make a fool of myself in front of another set of people (after the experience at the ice rink). So this is my fourth excuse.

I thought about doing the body-weight exercises at home, but I make excuses about not working out at home because I'm afraid of being judged from anybody (roommate included). This is my fifth excuse and kind of my mental breaking point where I realize something needs to change.

I'm noticing my biggest block is I care too much about what people think, I'm worried that others will judge me, I'm unwilling to ask for help because I'm afraid of how that will look to people, and I'm even afraid of being mocked by roommate who's like a brother to me if I try and work out at home. This is something I've always been like, and realistically it's probably part of the reason I'm even concerned about my health, body image. Granted there are health aspects (family history of heart disease and diabetes) but I know my image concerns are a piece of it. I need to figure out a way to stop making excuses and get back in the game.

Yeah, being worried about what other people will say can be a major roadblock. But the flip side is there is something kind of axillerating about doing something most people wouldn't dare do. I had a lot of fun (and felt kind of badass-y) working out at the park in the rain, despite feeling super self conscious.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Another quick update, I'm making progress but I still have a ways to go. Last night I made a meal that actually turned out pretty decent that I just winged completely. I didn't know what I was doing, but I thought you never learn if you don't take risks. I've seen ingredients and techniques in use before on cooking shows, and I had a limited knowledge of what I was cooking, but I was so happy with the end results.

I ended up making a beef roast with asparagus flavored by a sauce of olive oil, shallots, and garlic. I made the sauce on the stove top, tossed in the asparagus to cook up a bit, and then seared the roast a little on all sides, threw the asparagus underneath it in the pan, spooned some of the sauce on the top and broiled it in the oven... It turned out amazing for something I cooked (I will admit my willingness to eat Medium-Rare/Rare Steak has increased due to my ineptness at cooking times).

Also I did something that I should have done a long time ago, I asked for help. I've got a coworker that's been going to the gym for 6 months now and he's been doing a weight lifting routine. I finally went up to him and was like "Hey could you show me what you're doing, I want to learn but I'm embarrassed that I'll look stupid if I try it on my own" and he's been SUPER supportive (He's glad he's now getting to help someone like one of his friends helped him learn when he started, he's saying it's proving to him he knows what he's doing). He's also been a great person to encourage me not to try and rush it when it comes to how much weight I'm lifting. I'm only two days into working out with him (so far we've done a leg routine and a back/chest routine, tomorrow is arms) but I already feel more confident on my journey. It's always good to add a member to your party when you're on a quest.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like your are on the right track, guy. You've already slain one of your biggest dragons: your unwillingness to ask for help. That shows true strength. You should be proud of this, and draw inspiration from it to further your successes.

The meal you described sounds wildly delicious, so good on you for that lol

Never stop.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice in your head at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow." - Mary Anne Radmacher

Today I feel like I accomplished something, I had people over to watch a movie, and they ordered pizza but I stuck to eating my broccoli and leftover roast. It's killing me not having bread, but I know the farther I go along on this path the easier it will become... I plan on rewarding myself tomorrow with some bacon and eggs in the morning.

Today I feel like I accomplished something, I had people over to watch a movie, and they ordered pizza but I stuck to eating my broccoli and leftover roast. It's killing me not having bread, but I know the farther I go along on this path the easier it will become... I plan on rewarding myself tomorrow with some bacon and eggs in the morning.

That definitely is an accomplishment. It's really hard when friends don't subscribe to the same way of life as we do, but I like to lead by example. They tend to not really care (typical college frat boy types who just want to eat chicken wings and drink beer), but alas, I do.

It does get easier. And once a week I allow myself a cheat meal and a cheat snack. I need to keep my sanity lol Life is already stressful. It's okay to have fun every now and again. I just don't make a habit of lapsing on my diet.

Good going on sticking to healthy food. You did something not everybody could have.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice in your head at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow." - Mary Anne Radmacher