Forums are back in action! ×

Moxie finds new Hart ... (I'm so clever)

Yay, respawn! 

Well its sort of a respawn. I dropped off posting here after an ankle injury last year. I did take a break from lifting and skating to heal, but I haven't been a complete bum since I stopped posting.  I started cross fit in December of last year and have pretty much stuck to it since. Heck, I upped my squat PR by 40 lbs to 225 last month. 

But I did just take the last month off because it's officially roller derby off season and my body desperately needed to heal some injuries. 

And I spent the last week debating where I wanted to go with my training. Do I want to keep on keeping on with cross fit? I love it. But I sort of felt burnt out and like I wasn't making a lot of progress. Or do I want to try something new with a new trainer and see what happens?  I have one more month of off season before I start skating again, 6 more months before I graduate, so this next 6 months is going to be super important emotionally and physically.  It felt like this was a huge decision and I just didn't want to make the wrong one, so I procrastinated. 

But the problem is, I am a program hopper. I do something for 3-4 months and then switch to something else. (I've started and not completed the Rebel Fitness Guide, Strength Guide, and the Academy). It's not that I stop working, I just start doing different things because I get bored. Crossfit is the longest I've stuck to anything. 

It was after a talk with my coach about my frustrations that he pointed out that while I hadn't switched away from cross fit, I haven't fully followed the program either. I work graveyard, I go to school, I have two kids, I play a sport. Getting to cross fit during specially designated class times was sometimes hard. I typically get there 2-3 times a week, but I have really lacked in consistency. 

He's right. Its the same thing I struggle with in regards to food too. Consistency. Not burning out. 

So, I'm respawning to try again. 

I'm sticking with the program I love and the coaches I adore. 

What are my strategies for winning this time?

• Communication! My coach has offered to help any way he can and if I can't make it to class, I just have to text him and he will tell me how to modify the work out of the day so its doable in the gym next to my house. It's open 24 hours and I can hit it any time I want. 
  • I've scheduled in things that I really want to do besides like RPM class and water running and body flow on rest days. Variety will keep me from getting bored, and not burning out.  It means an extra $25 a month for a second gym membership, but... I think it will pay off
  • I'm not counting calories, just macros, for a while. I just need to be over 160g of protein every day. I'm allowing my carbs to fluctuate as I feel I need for energy, but my main focus is protein.
  • I'm pre making tuna salad and boiled eggs and beef jerky because.... 160g of protein is a lot of freaking protein. 
  • On sunday I'm buying 7 gallons of water. 1 for every day of the week. I will drink them

My last real obstacle is sleep. Because of the graveyard stuff and the classes I really struggle with this. But I did buy a light blocking curtain and I'm trying to slip in naps whenever I can. But I admit that I'm kind of crossing my fingers and just hoping to make it til the end of next week when the semester ends and I get a break. And my schedule is a lot easier in terms of large chunks of available sleep time next semester. 

And last but not least, I'm going to try to let go of the things I get frustrated with and remind myself daily that I get back up and keep trying. I've maintained a 60lb weight loss for 3 years. Even with all my inconsistency, I haven't gone backwards, I just haven't moved forward as fast as I would like. 

I'm a fighter. All I need is a respawn and to do a little bit better every day. <3 

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy