Forums are back in action! ×

Tentative respawn...

Hi,

First time posting, hello all! Like a couple of others on here I've been getting the emails for a while but never been on the forum before. The 'respawn' email prompted me to post as I've been in a diet and fitness rut for ages and I'd got to a point where I've been thinking 'well there's no point trying to get fit now this close to Xmas, I'll try again in Jan'. But the email made me see how silly that was - plus we all know that starting your new healthy lifestyle in Jan (or 'next Monday') doesn't necessarily increase your chances of sticking at it!

Just to tell you a bit about me, I'm technically a healthy weight but I'm not as slim and toned as I think I should be and definitely not as fit - I've no desire to be skinny, I just want my clothes to fit better and be able to run for longer that a minute. I've been going through phases of trying to get fit on and off for the last few years, but I have real trouble sticking with it - sooner or later I miss a day, then I miss another one, then a few months have gone past... This year has been particularly tough due to three family deaths and various other stuff that has left me with a vague feeling of depression and 'what's the point'ness. I started to feel a teeny bit of motivation again recently after a couple of good days, but unfortunately I have a broken toe at the moment which is limiting me a bit and I'm not sure what exercise I can safely do...

So it's a' tentative respawn' because even though I want to try again I'm in a pretty pessimistic place at the moment... I guess I just need a couple of easy first steps or mini goals to get me going, like maybe using MyFitnessPal again to log my food. Here's hoping I can make some progress this time!

I'll bet you can get great things done!  Sorry about the toe, that's lousy, but perhaps take the challenge to think of ways to do the Beginner Bodyweight Workout without hurting.  One foot or three-toe planking?  Make it fun, if you can!

Welcome back, from a fellow-respawner.

"I don't guarantee my voice - why would I?  But I promise to tell my story."

-- Johanna Gleason

ROCK ON!

I'm enjoying reading all these respawing stories.

But if you'll take em, here are my 2 cents MXN:

I've failed many times at logging my food... its such a big compromise! the process of writting down what you ate involves investing time at all meals...it can be overwhelming at first.

you need to start small, get exp and move from there as you level up.

Instead of logging your food, may I suggest first working on eating healthier, one meal at a time (maybe even cooking if you have the skill)? even if you win some and lose some, each meal is a battle and each day can give you a couple of opportunities for putting some wins under your belt. *and if you succeed at logging, it doesn't have as much impact to your health, but a healthy meal can make a difference in the long run...

just my 2 cents.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Thanks for the tips guys, I think part of where I've been going wrong before is starting too big - right now I really need small, achievable steps. I know I've gained a little weight recently (no excuse, but we had a houseguest for a few weeks who was really into their booze and rich food and it was hard not to join in the pigging out) so I can definitely cut down on a few things to start with, without logging (which is in some ways helpful but still a drag). And I'll check out the beginner bodyweight challenge, cheers!

EDIT: Erm... how do I find the challenge? Still feeling my way around the site!

I think CelebrateCeleste meant this workout

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

and making it a personal challenge to find ways to modify so that you can do it without it hurting your toe...

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft