Forums are back in action! ×

Time to level up.

Hi everyone :) 

I think it's time for me to recommit to some fitness. Lately I've been focused more on eating right, and creating a more healthy lifestyle. Disciplining my portion sizes and actually stopping eating when I'm full has probably been the biggest challenge. But those weights down in the shed aren't going to lift themselves! I'd love any advice anyone can give me on building core strength and what exercises I can do for that. Any upper back exercises would be much appreciated also :)

I'm really looking foreword to participating in this forum. I've been going through the same sets of exercises on and off since I was 14 and it would be very refreshing to break that routine :)

Anyway thanks! I look foreword to where I can contribute as well :)

Hi Nimbus :) I'm not a trainer, but I think I'm right in saying that the best exercises for core strength are heavy lifts. Particularly deadlifts and squats. The core should be activated to its max during those lifts and they are great for overall conditioning.

As an assassin without a lifting gym, I do a lot of bodyweight training. Push ups are good for the core. Planks are excellent. There are few abdominal specific exercises that are really worth it in my personal opinion (and as a centaur, I have two cores, so I should know!) Crunches and sit ups don't seem to hit my abs but my neck and spine. HOWEVER. If even with getting into a lifting regime with some push ups and planks thrown in doesn't do enough for you in the abs department, and your diet is on track and you really do just want them bigger, here are the best ab exercises that I know (correct me anyone if I'm wrong!)

- Leg raises (hanging, or lying down. If lying down, you can do various things with your legs like lift and lower, cross and uncross, or make big circles. I'm not sure of the point of these things except to make the time go quicker)

- Hollow hold (lying on your back, raising arms/shoulders and legs off ground and tensing core muscles. Hold for as long as possible)

There is a wealth of information here to get you started - I recommend reading up, and finding (or writing) a program to follow - it takes the 'what do I do next?' panic out of everything.

Good luck

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

As Ocelot said, bodyweight training is great. Pilates also does a good job at lengthening and strengthening core. 

However, that said, I don't think I've ever had a stronger core than I do now and I don't focus on it at all. Strengthen your body. If you make sure you get an all over body workout your core will get stronger without you even knowing it. Find something you like and keep at it :D 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both