Forums are back in action! ×

But... But... I don't wanna!

So for the past year or so I've been on the Tilt-A-Whirl of getting my ass in gear. A few weeks of good time at the gym, health eating, good outlook – then back down to getting sick or work crapping out on me, crappy eating and having the nice guys bring me dinner each night (damn you Seamless!), and lots of sitting on the couch. I've fallen off the anti-smoking wagon, haven’t made lunch for myself in weeks, and am totally looking forward to baking insane amount of cookies for the holidays. And I feel like crap.

But the biggest problem? I have no freaking motivation to change. Seriously – I like sitting on the couch, watching the hubby play GTA V and stuffing my face with delivered Mexican food. I like chain smoking over my coffee and cream with sugar and having fancy sandwiches for lunch. I JUST DON’T WANNA!

But given the complete lack of motivation, and the fact that the next few weeks at work – not to mention the holidays – are going to be insane, I’m going with the baby steps here. Are they the healthiest choices? Probably not. But it’s better than sitting on the couch with a feedbag of suet, so it’s in the right direction. Right?

-       Actually do some meal planning and buy groceries (how have I not done this in 2 weeks?!), bring breakfast and lunch to work, make dinner more. Try to make healthier choices, but try to at least not have take out twice a day (Aiming for each week-day/night)

-       Get off ass and at least go to the gym – I've tried to get into a body weight routine, but it’s not really my thing. But I need to get out of the dark hibernation cave of my apartment, so at least go to the gym* and walk on the treadmill or something. When feeling like getting my ass in gear for real, then we can kick it up a notch (Aiming for 3 times a week)

-       Drink more water! I don’t actually do soda or anything often, just coffee (and the occasional frou-frou Starbucks latte), but I keep forgetting to drink water during the day, so I wind up all head-achey and dehydrated

-       Get cracking with the apartment cleaning – Along with the whole not-being-healthy, my usually messy apartment has reached critical levels. So step up the efforts of getting rid of the crap and CHAOS (Can’t Have Anyone Over Syndrome). Goal is to have everything in a somewhat presentable manner by the next WWE PPV (I think it’s in 3 weeks?) so if my nephews come over to watch it with my husband, I won’t feel like a total slob. Housework is exercise right?

* Great moment of lazy-ass-ness – so I have to go to the gym at least 5 times a month to get a reimbursement from work. But, see above, I haven’t been going regularly. Highlight of November? I needed 2 more swipes for the count. So one time I went after work, went to the bathroom, then left because “I forgot my sports braâ€. A few days later, I go in and swipe, then ask the nice ladies at the desk for the holiday class schedule and then walk out. Yeah, I’m bad.

Motivation can be a tricky beast. But baby steps are awesome! Little by little, one travels far. And a good progress chart with stickers or happy faces or rewards for your successes never hurts either!

Good luck!

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke