Forums are back in action! ×

total n00b/initial respawn

I am completely new to this community.  Just stumbled across this website of amazingness YESTERDAY while researching information on "how to paleo" after a friend suggested giving it a try in an attempt to cut out all the crap in my diet.  

I have always been athletic in the sense that I run a few times a month and I was a dog walker (yes, I walked dogs for a living) in Oregon for the last year which had me moving and hiking for anywhere between 4 and 10 hours a day, 7 days a week.  I LOVED IT!!!!  I recently relocated to Louisiana to be closer to my boyfriend after doing the long distance thing for almost a year.  Going from Oregon, the land of the fresh and organic to Louisiana where EVERYTHING IS FRIED has not been easy.  I don't know anyone here other than my boyfriend and we spend 90% of our time on the couch playing the xBone until all hours of the night, eating every carb known to man.  While I have not necessarily gained any weight, I do however feel GROSS!!  My body hurts and I am always tired for no reason.  

Time to get off the couch and do something about it.  I would really love to get into weight training but do not know the first thing about being in a gym.  Any advice, workout/lifting basics, support or internet high fives you care to share with me would be super duper!!  Can't wait to start my transformation with you all!!  

Cheers to you all!!!!

Grace Dougherty

Baton Rouge/NOLA, Louisiana

Hi Grace! I am new here, as well. Actually, I've been getting the emails for a couple of months and have spent hours upon hours reading Steve's articles and some of the forums; I guess I just never officially "joined" until today. Oops!  Anyway, first of all, welcome to the South! (I live in Texas.) Second, my advice is to first go back to what you know and GET OUTSIDE AND WALK! A little nature transfusion always helps my frame of mind when I'm feeling out of sorts. As far as gym advice, Steve has written some entertaining and easy-to-understand blog posts on the subject, so I recommend starting there. The main thing, in my opinion, is to learn correct form and never lift too heavy to maintain it throughout your sets. That way you can avoid injury and continue building your strength.

Best of luck!