Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all,

My nom de plume is erosan, a word play on my last name (Erosa) and the japanese ero-san meaning "mr. erotism"...

I'm a lvl 0 recruit, with the most embarrasing false start story ever (probably). I was "decided" to finally get fit and lose the extra weight, and finally found Nerdfitness, read articles till 4am... jumped heads first into the 6 week challange, signed up aaaand... did nothing else.

nothing at all.

And then I read the respawning post. And I decided to basically ignore my recent failure and do a start over.

I used to run a 10k race every sunday and train at least 3 times a week, and I was "fit", but I stopped one day... no reason... and then life got in the way. But I will succeed this time.

Although I realize that this is the worst time of the year to start dieting with all the big meal-centric holidays coming (the Guadalupe-Reyes marathon here in Mexico, which encompass dia de la Guadalupe, posadas, xmas, new year, epiphany, and sometimes even the tamales for candlemass) but I've made up my mind, and I will make it through, and become a better, fitter, healthier version of myself.

I'm glad I've found this community. In just 3 days I've felt like I'm in the right place, with same-minded people, who understand me better than some of my friends and family... Not only because they are on the same quest for health/fitness as me, but also because I've seen references to Doctor Who, LotR, the dark tower, marvel, D&D and everything in between.

So... read you guys later.

• Like 2

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Keep going! It can take a bit of research and geeking out over exercise and nutrition before you find your path. The important thing is to keep taking steps, don't try and do too much and end up burning out - small changes over time will add up! Good luck, and keep posting.

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

^_^

I think my problem was not of information, but of lack of action... I've lurked Marks daily apple for at least a couple of years now, devouring all of the posts and forums, so I feel like I know what needs to be done.

But theory and reality are a far away distance sometimes.

I've been doing good, keeping to my paleo/primal goal, no cheating this time.  I naturally lean torwards intermitent fasting, I used to skip breakfast all the time, even as a kid. And I'm a pretty decent cook, who loves challenges, so learning to cook a whole different style and looking for the "voice" of paleo cuisine has me all fired up. But it's difficult at times, because neither my wife nor the rest of my family (save for my sister, whom I introduced to paleo before I fell of the wagon) does not eat "clean", and although they support me, I can't clean my pantry of non-paleo-but-very-tempting things...

And lastly there's excercise... I've been walking/riding my bike to work for a couple of weeks now (a change I made because I HATE driving) and I recently added the Nerd Fitness Beginner Workout 3 times a week to my list. I know that I also need to do a sprint session at least once a week, but I still feel like I'm not ready for that (I do go fast on my bike for short burst just because now and then).

To be honest, I feel like what I lacked was accountability and support. I'm not very open about this proyects with people close to me (I guess I am embarrased that I am not fit, that I'm fat, etc. same story as plenty of us I suppose). So this forum and being able to interact with more persons with same goals who I know will not judge me... I think that will make the difference.

Thanks, Ocelot.

I know what you mean - I used to also find that the more I learned about what was not good for me, the more I did that thing. XD I kind of had to work on my mentality a bit there. I hope you find your way to the point where all your knowledge can translate into action :) Accountability sounds like a good place to go, and adding in cycling and the beginning workout also sounds good to me!

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

I empathize completely with the lack of accountability and support. When I was in high school, I was dedicated to my team- and they kept responsible for myself (through reliance that I would be there for them). However, when I graduated, I had nothing of the sort. My family has always lacked in the support area, and in fact promoted unhealthy lifestyle choices out of dysfunctional dislike (if I wasn't in shape, it made it easier for them to make fun of me). When I left their house, I found friends who were heavy, and supported a sedentary lifestyle- because I was looking for people to love me for me. My relationships were based on men who thought women with a little meat on their bones was attractive (not healthy in a lot more aspects).

What changed for me was having a child. I woke up, very recently, and realized that the only person responsible for me, as an adult, was me. I'd relied on people to keep me in check for so long that I lost myself. I am not my size- it doesn't HAVE to define me. And, if it doesn't define me- I can DEFINITELY change it. This site, so far, allows me to be responsible for myself, while helping me with support. I love the battle log section (seriously, you should try it)- simply because I have promised myself I will write in it EVERY DAY (accountability). And, in the chat room, and on the forums, I've received so much help (support). Like you, I just need to make sure I'm keeping up with the action part.

We can do this together, Erosan :) Together we can be better :) If you stick with me, I'll stick with you! :)

P.s. We're nerds of a feather- D&D, LoTR, DoctorWho (I'm a Tenth Fanatic), Marvel, obviously Dark Tower, etc- all my nerdy loves. Add in RPG, and FPS, video games and we could be the same nerdy person :P

Gunslinger in Training

Battle Log

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

You've got yourserlf a deal, ma'am.

In fact, since I had already decided I'm becoming an assassin, I'll work twice as hard and become a Gunslinger too. I don't care too much for guns, though... but a Gunslinger can be dangerous with any other weapon (Oriza comes to mind) or even none at all, right?

P.S. I love me some JRPGs (Final Fantasy? yes please!) and videogames in general... but I don't do well with FPS, I get motion sickness.

P.S.2. Tennant is an all around funny guy, and a great doctor... I'm split, cuz Matt Smith also did an awesome job... mmm Tennant had great companions... Tate, Agyeman, but I'm not sure you can beat the  whole Amelia Pond, River Song and Clara Oswald's sagas... aaarggg can't decide. Can I just be a 10/11 fan? Jury is still out for Capaldi. I think I like his doctor... but we need him to get a season where he is not carrying the last doctor's baggage (which is to say I didn't enjoy completely the chemestry between Jenna and him)