Forums are back in action! ×

Uncanny Respawn Timing

I have gone through a rough patch in my life following a fairly successful transformation.  In April-ish of 2012 I quit drinking, starting eating well (thank you NF and Mark's Daily Apple), and became more active.  I went from 240ish lbs to around 165ish lbs in about 9 months or so (I don't remember well, because I didn't write many things down).  Well, after all of that (cue pity party) people started accusing me of using drugs, starving myself, blah blah blah.  I decided maybe I deserved to start eating pizza, drinking beer, sitting on my ass, etc since I had accomplished what I set out to do.  Long story short: I got lazy.  My fault, no excuses.  In the last 6 months or so I took a much better paying job, thinking it would be a dream job, but it turned out to be a hellish nightmare that pushed me back into depression, heavy-drinking, and being an overall crappy person and burden on society.  Being who I am it took me about me 4 months of the BS to admit to myself that I had made a mistake and it was up to ME to fix it.  Luckily during all of my miserableness my wife did not leave (she has the patience of a saint), and I continue to have her support.  I decided to quit my soul-sucking job in mid-November and I worked the rest of the month.  After my last day I got on craigslist and purchased a weight set for a decent price.  I did my first workout after reading Starting Strength on Tuesday of this week, and after my workout I thought I would dust off the old NF account and try and find some support/sounding board from people who don't have to put up with me on a daily basis.  What did I find?  An epic article about respawning.  Steve, please stop your surveillance of my life, it's a little creepy.  But on a serious note, the article really hit home and was the extra spark needed to knock out any of the doubts I was having about leaving my job to be selfish and focus on my health.  I am going to start back school and finish my degree instead of chasing work all over creation, I am going eat clean because it makes me feel well, I am going to get as strong as can using Starting Strength, and I am running in a Warrior Dash in April to hopefully celebrate 5 months of awesome.  Thank you to whomever reads this and puts up with my terrible grammar and horrendous overuse of parentheses. 

The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth.