Forums are back in action! ×

I've never been a part of any forum anywhere...so here goes it...

I'm 37, married with 2 sons. I struggled a little with weight in late elementary and junior high, then in high school developed into a great athlete. I kept that up a little in college, got married, went to grad school, had twin sons, starting drinking obscene amounts of coffee with cream and sugar and ate not so much junk, but a really unbalanced diet and stopped working out. I went from 175 to 220 or so in a few years. I'm 6'1". Then started my first position after graduating and went up to 240 and felt terrible all the time with constant gut problems. I've tried many things, off and on, to lose weight and get healthy and for 10 years saw no results. I'm motivated because my father died young from a heart attack and there is diabetes galore on my mother's side of the family. Last year, I was trying to lift weights and hurt my lower back - something went snap and I went down on the ground, after a few I crawled to the shower and spent three days barely able to walk at all with lots of pain. I used to run a lot but haven't been able to do that due to my gut issues getting extra aggravated by the running. I kept trying this and that and finally the wife said, "you just need to find something and stick with it." I've got some old sports injuries that nag - tendinitis and bursitis in the right shoulder especially.

I almost despaired when a friend told me very well meaningly, "your damaged goods."

Then I found Nerd Fitness. I have looked at tons of different sites, most of them with really scary work out routines and I can hear Drago say, "I must break you". No thanks. I've gotten three emails and I'm pretty stoked. I started the Walk to Mordor challenge and the Angry Birds workout.

As for the whole what are you - if I had to guess, I'm probably a scout with some assassin, or at least, that is what comes very natural to me and seems appealing.

I've had to make tons of changes to my diet already due to health, and am trying to get the gut thing under control. I need some community to make this work. Thanks for being here, and thanks for listening.

hurt my lower back - something went snap and I went down on the ground...a friend told me very well meaningly, "your damaged goods."..."I must break you".

OBVIOUSLY you are Batman. A good recovery and training montage is always an exciting buildup to the triumphant defeat of your enemy.

Scout with some assassin...that sounds like Batman too. Your secret's safe with us, I promise.

In short, welcome! How's the stuff you've tried so far been feeling?

• Like 3

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Thanks Lalie Fanyarendil. I went for a long walk/trek yesterday, and it felt pretty awesome. I had grand plans, but starting running out of time and energy, but I managed 7.8 miles or so. The shoulder this morning after the push ups and one arm pulls from the angry birds work out is a little tweaked this morning, but that is nothing unusual. I can usually warm it up and apply some of the wife's essential oils and get some relief for it. As I walked, I had Lord of the Rings and Hobbit scenes playing around in my head with some epic music, in between to thinking about life's issues. I live in a great area with trees, birds and clean air with plenty of walking paths so in that way I am very blessed. Batman, huh. I think you might be on to something there...

Forgot to post some goals and what little cred I have

1. Say good bye to my spare tire and my other extra "we hates it forever!"

2. Become strong - I don't care what that looks like, but I want to be able to pull myself off of a cliff, or lift something off someone, sprint to safety, climb a tree - you get it I think

3. Endure - if possible, I want to run again, ride a bike a great distance - walk somewhere with gear incredibly far (mountains, streams, etc. would be cool with that)

Nerd cred - Huge Tolkien fan, love mythology, love hero stories (who doesn't)

Forgot to post some goals and what little cred I have

1. Say good bye to my spare tire and my other extra "we hates it forever!"

2. Become strong - I don't care what that looks like, but I want to be able to pull myself off of a cliff, or lift something off someone, sprint to safety, climb a tree - you get it I think

3. Endure - if possible, I want to run again, ride a bike a great distance - walk somewhere with gear incredibly far (mountains, streams, etc. would be cool with that)

Nerd cred - Huge Tolkien fan, love mythology, love hero stories (who doesn't)

I like the goal walk somewhere with gear incredibly far.

I'm so use to growing up with Appalachian Trail few minutes from me for most of my life. There's so really nice parts of that trail. Quit few times you will see one of the many hikers with their gear that walked it for few straight days. Best when it's that cute old couple that are doing it.

appalachian-trail-map.jpg

Could be idea major goal to hike this bad boy.

As for your back, you basically are Batman (just don't fake your own death). Hopefully your back will start feeling better after a while.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Well,

After a few work outs and more time to think the profession thing through, I'm thinking more Ranger. I do tend to over think things, but I did the Lord of the Rings workout 1 for 3 sets today - that is the type of stuff for me - I really loved it. The back didn't bother me and I had fun! Thanks Nerd Fitness...