Forums are back in action! ×

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hey there to you folks.  I stumbled across Nerd Fitness a couple of months ago and seem to keep finding it when I do Google searches on fitness/health subjects.  I liked much of what I saw in terms of the articles and some posts made here in your community.  You have Yoga instructors, nurses, and others that apparently have very good knowledge and wisdom to share.  I was also impressed that I did not see ads trying to sell me supplements, magic powders, and potions.  Regardless of what it is that is truly meaningful in this world it usually takes persistence, smarts, and hard work to experience.  I did not see a lot of shortcuts offered in advice that I have read so far.  Bodyweight workouts, weights, exercise, don't eat junk food, drink water, take care of yourself, etc.  In other words, most of what I have seen here is common sense.  

I am a 50 year old dude in OK shape and trying to get a little better and do the best I can.  I was in pretty good shape in my 30s and on into my 40s and then life sort of caught up with me (or I let it get the best of me) and I got off track for a while.  I was just trying to do too much stuff and deal with a job that in retrospect I was not really meant to do.  I decided to make a change and find a career that was a better fit for me (I love the work that I do today) and am slowly getting my life back into what I consider a good balance.   I went back to work on my fitness and after being not active enough for some years, I started over.  I started out walking, doing calisthenics, then running, and slowly working on my eating habits.  I ran, did pullups, pushups, crunches, and other calisthenics until late October when I developed some knee tendonitis.  I was told to rest the tendonitis by my doc and based partly on a recommendation from a friend and partly based on other things I read I bought a set of used P90x discs off of Ebay so that I could continue doing fitness through the Winter.  I am getting back to a decent state and have most of the things like cholesterol, weight, etc. back to good ranges and am feeling pretty good (including the knee).  I have done about 7 weeks so far of the P90x and will probably use it until March or so to let my knee recover and then I will be back outside doing things as I prefer to workout outside when daylight and weather permits.  I do not do gyms, too much time getting to and fro and a treadmill and weight machine are about as exciting as a toothache to me.  It blows my mind that some gyms do not have pullup bars.  I have a good one mounted on the floor joists of my garage though and a not so good one mounted to my deck.

The only sport that I currently play is golf and this time of year is mostly off season due to weather.  I love to play walking rather than riding carts when I can do so.  I look at the P90x as a sort of off season training for golf with the Yoga, weights, and general fitness involved.  I am not a Beachbody coach and have no desire to sell you anything.  In fact, I had joined one of their groups before I realized their supplement and multilevel marketing business model.  I think their workouts are great for Winter but I do not practice the Shakeology and all that mess.  My workouts will jump around as time goes on.  As soon as the weather warms up I plan to start running again and mix some body weight and weighs in with it.  I try to eat decently and I like the general concept of getting most of your carbs from nutrient rich foods like vegetables, fruits, and meat but I eat some dairy, breads, and other things that would not fit the Paleo world really well but I do try to follow the general idea of at least picking the lesser of two evils and I cook much of my own food.  My goals are to keep my stats in line (BP, cholesterol, etc.), keep my myself in decent shape, use fitness to the extent possible to train for golf, and in general use fitness to keep myself active for as long as I can do so and enjoy life.

In terms of online gaming, I do not do much of that these days except for ESPN Fantasy leagues.  I used to play Tiger Woods Golf and Quickhit Football but both of those games closed down.  I played the last Madden NFL PC version online a little but it is very difficult to find people that you can connect with to play these days due to the hassles of connecting games.  I do not have a Playstation, Xbox, etc.

I want to ask some of you smart folks a few questions and read the dialogues that you all have to help me take decent care of myself.

I think in the Pub section, they have forum for fantasy leagues. If not, you could always make one. Shouldn't be hard to find few people to discuss with you about it (sorry I have very little clue about fantasy leagues since I'm not much into sports, other than MMA, roller derby, and little bit of soccer/football and hockey).

So good luck on your quest. And feel free to ask questions (people here don't suck, unlike most of the internet). 

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram