Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone have any phoenix down?

Ugh, so technically, this is my second respawn this month. I was super excited, but then, well, life happened in the form of 9 deaths this month - my grandma, m bf's grandma (both from Alzheimer's), a friend committed suicide, a mentor died from cancer, and three of my coworkers lost another 5 people. I have never written or received so many sympathy cards in my life. 

I thought about continuing my previous respawn thread (called Burnout Respawn), but decided this was a hard enough blow to warrant it's post.

My main issue is getting motivated again. I know I need time to process, but I also know that I am queen of procrastination, and all these deaths? They make me want to start tackling goals sooner rather than later. I sure as hell do not want my depression to get the better of me, nor do I want to waste a lot of time watching TV when I could be out doing something instead. But I'm finding it difficult to get moving again.

So for this respawn, I'm asking for a bit of support for the next couple weeks (until the next challenge) - anyone willing to pester me (nicely) to help me stay on track for the following goals?

1) Walk 30 minutes daily

2) Do a 7 minute mini-workout daily (alternate: shoulders, legs, stretching)

3) Drink 2 glasses of water daily

4) Make a healthy food choice daily (I.e., drinking water instead of soda, or eating at home instead lf going out)

I'll post progress here until the new 6 week challenge starts :)

• Like 1

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Yesterday, I took my walk and drank water.  I'm not sure if playing tug with a 50lb dog counts as shoulder exercise, but I was tired afterwards, so maybe? I also only had one cup of coffee instead of my usual 3, so that counts as healthier choice.

Today is a new. Christmas morning, so I will see what can be accomplished :)

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

I think playing with a dog is a form of exercise...not so sure what it focuses on, but it's definitely an awesome source for workout...I can't say I've been too successful with cutting down on my coffee intake in the past, but good job anyway...

Every day is a new day! What was accomplished Christmas day?

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,

Christmas day... I did drink my water but that's about it. Today, though, I am back on track.... just as soon as I finish my coffee ;)

Thanks for the check-in's! I really appreciate it. Also, my private message section isn't opening again, so it may be a bit before I can access that section.

Thanks Shades! Occasional is still better than none :). The losses still hurt, and they probably will for a long time, but at least they're motivating me to keep going.

Yesterday, I did all the things!  I walked, drank water x4, shoulder exercises (aka, raked up the giant mess the neighbors left in our yard - shoulder is happy-tired today), went for a salad (chicken, lettuce, cheese and salsa) instead of a burger and fries for lunch.  Also, in acknowledgment that I am, in fact, coming down with a cold, I slept a great deal between being lazy-productive at home. Practically my favorite kind of day :)

• Like 1

I have similar goals to yours, and will gladly pop in to keep up with ya on here, I'm doing great on the water and healthier food choices, but could definitely use the 30 minute walk and the workouts. My dog only weighs 32 lbs.. so I don't think tug with her counts yet - we'll get there though.

Good luck man, keep going strong.

• Like 1

Akuyo - Level 0 Lycan Rebel

Stats: 0 STR, 0 DEX, 0 CON, 0 STA, 0 WIS, 0 CHA

Thanks Shades! Occasional is still better than none :). The losses still hurt, and they probably will for a long time, but at least they're motivating me to keep going.

Yesterday, I did all the things! I walked, drank water x4, shoulder exercises (aka, raked up the giant mess the neighbors left in our yard - shoulder is happy-tired today), went for a salad (chicken, lettuce, cheese and salsa) instead of a burger and fries for lunch. Also, in acknowledgment that I am, in fact, coming down with a cold, I slept a great deal between being lazy-productive at home. Practically my favorite kind of day :)

Lazy-productive days are the best!

Happy to see that the motivation to do better is there, despite the source...

How was today?

Sent front phone. Any mistakes are its fault.

• Like 1

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,

Today is hard only because I worked a full day for the first time since Tuesday :P But since I was the only one there, I got to clean out my inbox and get set up for next week while listening to music. And because the office is technically closed, I got to ignore the door and the phone, not that anyone called or stopped by anyhow. Twas glorious.

Been drinking a ton of water trying to beat this cold - I think I'm on my 4th or 5th pint.  Eating soup at home instead of eating out for dinner - both healthier and cheaper :) Did not get my walk in, but think I'll go do stretches after dinner.

• Like 1

You people, so good at checking in with me :) I thought about slacking, but then didn't want to report on slacking behavior and didn't want to lie, so:

Today, I drank my water x1 (but it's early in the day yet), ate a falafel wrap instead of burger and fries for lunch, walked Bree at the dog park for 40 minutes (in the mist, no less!) and tackled our storage closet with the bf which resulted in a happy-tired set of shoulders, so I'm counting that as shoulder exercises for the day. I still have a cold, but it's manageable.  Must-needs drink a lot more water though - that's really been helping.  That, and the Nyquil taken at night so I can sleep and not wake up coughing all night.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I drank my water and walked. I did not actually think about what I was eating, so cannot count that as making a healthier choice, nor did I do exercises. Oh well, today is a new day, right?

No progress today, but I did let a coworker talk me into finding a new, cool park just a mile from my house instead of being productive at work. That counts for something, right? :P

I have had a bad few days also.. I actually melted down and got Taco bell nachos and a Mountain Dew today... but hey... we have a few more days to get it together before the challenge! We can rock it out!

I did get my walks in and my waters, but not much else. Friend's funeral was today, and I've been struggling a bit to be motivated. It'll pass, and there have been some happy moments and good news for 2015, but still.

Do you still have time for a 7 minute workout today? If so, dooo it even if you just sit on the floor for six minutes after doing one stretch, it will still help to start ingraining the habit! You're doing absolutely amazingly considering all the sadness and bad news. Make the self care things automatic so they can't be derailed. I am very willing to keep checking in on you as long as you need.

• Like 1

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

Thanks you guys!!! It has been super helpful and encouraging knowing you guys are checking it!

I started my new thread in Druids called "Idealistinfire Prepares to Dragon-Search".  Although I want to go all gung-hi into workouts and whatnot, I'll be focusing more on hydration and eating things that make me better, not worse. I'm not doing the 7 minutes of exercise because I found even that amount intimidating, but I am doing one strength move a day plus the walking.

I'll be putting my updates in my new thread if you'd like to stop by :)

I am intimidated by the goals I set for myself this challenge also.. but I'm going to try to push through and get them done. Walking/Running every other day and BBW workout on the off days of that.. we'll see =P.

• Like 1

I can relate. Mom's death was more than a year ago, but pretty much completely fucked me. If you figure out how to get back on track, let me know...I've tried pretty much all of the "standard" approaches to dealing with it, and am still stuck in respawn limbo. :-/

Definitely feeling ya, though. I just think of it in terms of doing what we do in Fire/LE/military life: shed a tear, wipe off your brow, pick your pack/ruck/duty belt up and put it back on, and keep on going, one foot in front of the other.

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

Parent deaths suck - my dad died a long time ago and I still have rough years.