Forums are back in action! ×

New to the Rebellion

Hi!

So after a long time of wanting to make a change I stumbled across NF. I signed up, did the 10 minute walk, and want to keep going. I just am not sure where to go now.

I've been an avid gamer for most of my life, am currently going to school for my CS degree, and, if I'm being honest, have a near-permanent butt divot in my chair :)

I've never really worked out at all, exercise overall is new to me. But I want to get better, to feel happy with myself, and to not feel disgusted when I look in the mirror. I've read through some of the forums, and everything looks confusing and I'm scared that this momentum I feel will fall aside and I will just go back to my old habits again.

I feel good right now though, that walk had me grinning like an idiot by the time I was done.

Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the site, for giving me the impetus to get started.

- Pumpedwriter

Hello :-)

Do you know what kind of routine you want to do? Don't be afraid to try a few things to see what you like. There are many different novice routines for weightlifting, body weight, and that other stuff I don't know about and the information is all over these boards and the inter et in general. The important thing is that you find something you will enjoy enough to stick with.

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

Welcome to the rebellion! It's great that you've decided to improve your health. I would recommend making small changes and then once you create good habits, you can "level up" and set new goals. Maybe first work on your diet by cutting back on processed foods and eating more vegetables and protein. Perhaps you could take breaks from sitting in front of the computer every hour (stand up, get a drink of water, go to the bathroom, etc). You can do it! The small things add up!

"Don't trade what you want most of all for what you want in the moment." 

Haha, butt divet. My favorite chair has one of those. :P

Seriously, don't lose your momentum. Take a walk and think about what you'd like to do in the future, what kind of life you'd like to have, all that sort of thing. Once you've figured out a big picture, start breaking it down. Pick small, measurable goals at first. Stuff like:

• Walk 5,000 steps per day.
  • Drink 100 oz of water per day.
  • Eat 3 servings of veggies per day.
  • Cook 2 meals per week.
  • Try 1 new exercise per week. (Youtube is your friend here. There are tons of workouts, how to videos for different exercises and other such things.)

Maybe consider trying the challenge that is coming up on the 5th? Idk, there are lots of things that you can do but it all starts with making better choices and creating new habits to replace the old ones. 

Good luck. :)

"Being split in two halves is no theory with me, Doctor. I have a human half, you see, as well as an alien half, submerged, constantly at war with each other. Personal experience, Doctor. I survive it because my intelligence wins out over both, makes them live together." -- S'chn T'gai Spock 

Yeah, I was thinking about the challenge, but I'm kinda at a loss right now as to what I would even like to begin to work on. I know diet is a big problem for me (I'm a chronic stress eater), but I want to work on some strength/stamina stuff as well.

All I know is if I can keep focusing on how good this feels, how proud I already feel, then I can keep on going, even when my legs are sore and my parents order pizza for dinner :)

Very excited for you. My advice would be to eat good and drink plenty of water. At first just try and stay active do your walks maybe jogt a little here and there during your walks. I wouldn't be concerned with routines and ect. For at least a couple of months. Just walking mixed with jogging eating right and drinking lots of water will put you on the right track. Then I would worry about routines. We are hunter gathers just get out and walk and move daily like our bodies are made for. Then worry about the other stuff later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk