Forums are back in action! ×

Join me for a ScienceFriday best-of-year book!

I listened to a Science Friday podcast that had reviews of favorite science books of 2014.  I'm going to pick one to read for the next challenge, and everyone is welcome to join!  I'd love to have a discussion about a book that will probably be pretty cool.

The podcast

Here's the list, and we'll pick one:

By Arthur Allen     

A Polish scientist was recruited by the Nazis to make a Typhoid vaccine for the soldiers on the front lines.  He tricked the Nazis by making two vaccines: an effective one for the people in concentration camps he had to test on and sent a fake to the front lines.

According to Barnosky, we're in the start of extinction (it takes 100,000 years), but the reviewer called in approachable because he offers ways to help; "hopeful realism."

By Randall Munroe

The author did live updates for the craft that landed on the comet recently.  Thought experiments.  One question:What if everyone stayed away from each other for a couple weeks.  Would it eradicate the common cold?

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

I don't know about the others, but I ABSOLUTELY love Randall's work. I used to read his blog (both XKCD and What if) and I still would, if I had time. If I can blindly recommend one book over the others it would be that one.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

I don't know about the others, but I ABSOLUTELY love Randall's work. I used to read his blog (both XKCD and What if) and I still would, if I had time. If I can blindly recommend one book over the others it would be that one.

He has blogs too???  

Hahaaha, he animated the comet landing

All 3 sound interesting. Count me in for the discussion.

Awesome!

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->