Forums are back in action! ×

Head full of steam with a lot of goals...

Hello community, it's a pleasure to be here,

I'm John 6' and currently weighing in at 212. With a body fat % of somewhere between 16-18 (depending on your method of measure neck is 17 in waist is 36 in and used a calculator on-line)

I graduated from high school at 206 without an ounce of muscle on me and had already developed a beer belly. I then went to the Army and came out at a stunning 173. Then they allowed me to eat again and I was immediately 225 the rest of my Army Career, being on the fatboy program the entire time. It didn't help that I had a horrible drinking problem and a sugar addiction.

After I got out of the Army in 2001, I came back home and managed to keep at 225-235 but lost all the muscle I had gained. Also, my drinking had got about 10X worse. So on January 6 2004 I finally "put the plug in the jug" for good. That was great, but I gained 50 lbs in the process. Over the next 9 yrs I steadily grew, and on Jan 20 2013 weighed in at 294!!!

Enough was enough and I took action, got with a nutritionist and started running and lifting heavy (making up heavy weight routines as I went along). Dropped weight real fast and in May of that year was down to 240 and started training for my first Chicago Marathon. I got down to about 230 and then the marathon psychology came into play. "Oh I ran 15 miles today. I deserve the biggest blizzard dairy queen makes".

I didn't gain anything but I didn't lose anything. Then two months ago I deciced to give Paleo a try. I friend saw success with it so I started researching and found this site. I have to say that I am in love with it and I am dropping weight like crazy. And for the first time I am seeing the results in the mirror.

Now my goals. I have done the Chicago marathon twice, about 20 half marathons, and did my first Olympic distance triathlon. This year I intend to complete a full IronMan. My next goal weight is 199. I have until March before IronMan training takes over, so until then I want to drop as much fat as possible and lift weights (the proper way).

I need to learn form. I love the excercises talked about on this site, bench, squat, and I just started deadlifts. But I'm surprised I haven't hurt myself. I was putting up 315+ on the bench, but only bringing it halfway down... It's time to get real...

I also need to stay consistent with the diet. I hate the holidays and have endulged in far too many "cheat days" that involve eating 30 cookies and being mad about it...

Any advice on how to get started on here would be great. Or advice on anything would be appreciated. I really hope this forum helps, I'm sick of doing this all alone. I've never joined anything like this, so I'm excited to see what awaits.

John

Welcome!

Getting started here:

Step one: intro thread. Great job! you've gotten this accomplished already. :D

heh.

Beyond that, a new 6 week challenge starts up on Monday, if you're interested in participating in that. More info can be found toward the top of the page.

Or, start a Battle Log (online journal). Check out that section to see if that's something that's interesting to you.

If neither of those float your boat, jump in wherever. There is a ton of info around the board both fitness/nutrition related and otherwise.

We're a generally welcoming and friendly group so join in! We don't bite. 

• Like 1

For the challenge, directions/rules are here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58253-challenge-instructions-updated-jan-1-2015/

Short version: Pick 3 fitness goals and 1 life goal, assign some grading system to know whether you've succeeded and Boom! done.

Then, you share that awesome plan with everyone else by making a challenge thread. First timers are encouraged to start in the Level 1 forum here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/410-level-1-rebels/

Start a thread describing your goals, check in occasionally to let people know how you're doing. That's really all there is. The rest is just details.

Poke through other people's challenge threads (my previous ones are linked at the bottom of my posts, as are many people's) for inspiration/ideas on structure/goals/grading. It can be as fancy or as simple as you like.

If you get stuck, just ask. There are a bunch of people who have been in a very similar pair of confused shoes and would be happy to explain.

Fatboy PT Wooo!

former fatboy PT alumni myself, in the Navy to boot so you know the PRT I failed was likely WAY easier than the Army one...I blame $1.50 fifths of Bacardi in Peurto Rico on that one :rolleyes-new:

As far as lifting goes Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are great beginner programs, but if your going to get form down you need to bring that weight down to something easier and spend some time practicing imo.

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge