Forums are back in action! ×

Lost a bet. Now I'm here.

tl;dr: Skinny guy that looks fit is going to actually get fit. My goal is to put on weight and do the 300 Workout in 30 minutes by the end of the year.

I've wanted to get into lifting for a while now but never had the motivation. I've always been a pretty fit looking guy - naturally skinny with some decent muscle definition (especially when flexing in a mirror). But any time that I actually tried putting my body to use, it would fail.

I'm approaching 30 now and it's true what they all said, "One day that metabolism will slow down and then you'll be sorry." I've always had a fairly normal relationship to food. I've never eaten too much and I was raised on home cooked meals so healthy eating wasn't something new to me but my habit of binging on cookies before bed was making me the worst kind of fat: skinny fat. Most of my body looked healthy except that it looked like I had just swallowed a beach ball. You know that yellow guy from the first Sin City movie where he's all scrawny except for that round pot-belly? ...yeah that's what I'm turning into.

So I started doing push ups, pull ups, squats, and plank at home but it was hard to stay motivated. One day Jhaye1 (member here/coworker) challenged me to a push up contest. I figured I'd lose so I made the bet that if I lost, I'd have to join the gym with them. If I won then obviously whatever they were doing at the gym wasn't helping them so why bother?

Spoiler Alert: I lost. 43 to 47.

Now I'm about 1 month into lifting and I'm completely hooked. I was reading NF before I started and now I'm rereading it all. I'm still not worried about my diet yet - weight loss isn't really my goal. I've always had a harder time putting weight ON than taking it off and I'm 5 lbs up from where I started (170 now) and I'm really happy with that. My goal is to get through the 300 Workout in under 30 minutes before the end of the year.

The biggest hurdle for me is finding the motivation. Like I said - I'm pretty fit looking. I don't have any doctors telling me I'm pre-diabetic or that I need to exercise. I'm motivated now because this is fun and I can feel some progress. I think it's going to be hard for me to maintain this level of commitment if I start to plateau. Fortunately I have friends at work and a wife that will help me stay motivated.

Thanks for reading!

Too bad you lost... but your here now, so theres the bright side! Have you made it all the way through the 300 workout yet? If so have you done it timed yet? Good idea since its January to be able to track your progress with your goal.

I take it jhane1 is going to be a work out partner for you but do you have others to keep you accountable and on task at the gym?

I have not made it all the way through yet. I did 1/5th of it the other day with another workout partner and it kicked our butts. It also took us a fairly long time but that's because we were waiting for each other to finish each set. It's quite the awesome workout and I can't wait to get through the whole thing!