Forums are back in action! ×

As a spider once said "Salutations!"

Hey!

My name is Ayla and I live in a small place no one knows about ...*cough* Rhode Island *cough* (No not as in Greece or anything like that). I am 24 years old, english major with a minor in creative writing and film.  I had never really had that much of a problem with my weight. I was in decent shape for someone who wasn't into sports and more into what I called "the sedentary arts".  But like many, when college came around the pounds piled on so fast and than wham!!! I find myself standing on a fine edge of going down a road that involves health problems and even more wonderful geekcentric t shirts I can't wear. So many wonderful shirts....but anyway!

I have to say apart from physically seeing it in the mirror (I tended to avoid my reflection these past couple of years ) I also have two major reasons for change.  Yes. The eyes will roll, but its because I met someone. I know, I know. "He better not be telling you to change" or "Don't change for a guy". Yes, yes I know. I assure you this guy would worship the ground I walk on even if I gained 100 more pounds. But that is because he has his own extreme body issues so he would never dream of making comments like that to me. He only supports and encourages me 100 percent on my desire to finally improve my health.  It is actually a shared goal of ours, but where I have to lose it, he has to gain it!! He has been extremely underweight for a couple years so he doesn't have the issue I have.  But okay, sorry, ranting...I'll get to the point. 

The relationship is serious and money has been already funneled away for a ring (yeah it ain't a surprise). With an engagement I know it means pictures, and after an engagement it means wedding, a dress, and so on and so forth.  So why not start now? Why not get healthy now? Instead of suddenly dieting just to squeeze my butt into a really nice dress and than stop. So many things have changed so quickly for the both of us since we've met, and if this train is speeding along than we might as well get started.

I want to do this so I can look in the mirror and go "There is that bad ass girl I knew was underneath!" instead of just avoiding it all together.

• Like 1

Cleaning up Diet (cut down on sugar, bread, portion size)

1%
1%

Weight loss (180-140)

1%
1%

Starting 1001 Movie blog (50 entries by September)

5%
5%

Hey, there!

So my eyes did not roll at all. My boyfriend and I met in a chemistry class at college and were both very healthy (looking) people. We moved away from each other from transferring to finish our degrees at the best institution we could find for our respective specialties (he is aerospace engineering and I am biological anthropology/anatomy). That meant him moving from SD to LA and me moving from SD all the way to the Midwest *sigh*. I gained weight from working in labs and sitting in lecture halls and dorm food and he lost it from only eating small amounts of nutritionally-void food. So...two years after being healthy (looking) people we are both trying to make better choices. He is eating better foods that will help him stay focused and gain a little weight, and I am here on NF doing my best to look and feel healthier, just like you. 

This is your thread so I am sorry for posting a huge comment about me, but I just wanted to share with you that you are absolutely not alone in your struggle and that plenty of us *rolls eyes* are finding motivation from and for our partners. 

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement! :] You will find the community to be extremely supportive and the forums are awesome!

Also, always feel free to stop by my page if you need an accountabilibuddy or go to the forums and you can make connections with others as well! We are all  cheering you on!

Best,

MA

Level 0, Human Druid

[sTR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0 ]

"'Impossible' is not a scientific term." - Vanna Bonta

Congrats!

No eye rolling from me - I'm married, and both my husband and I gained a lot of weight once we settled into our relationship - this has given me a new outlook (especially since I started losing the weight), and that is - I'd rather be healthy and alive for my spouse. Why not be the best partner you can be? If it's a reason to get healthy, take it! 

And oh boy do I understand those geek-tastic t-shirts not fitting. I have a pile I am waiting to be just slightly less snug.

• Like 1

Level 2 Wood Elf Scout

(Current) Challenge #2

I gained weight from working in labs and sitting in lecture halls and dorm food and he lost it from only eating small amounts of nutritionally-void food.

He actually got used to eating small amounts because lack of money and it became a habit. He will often leave half a plate of food and  I would go licking the crumbs off my plate and picking off the leftovers of his. But he isn't exactly in the clear. He lost all the weight because at the time he didn't have a car and biked everyday for a year to his old job. So biking everyday + small meals, skinny skinny bf.  He has actually gained 10lbs since he got a new job and his car back up and running. God does he love the scale! Haha. Where i AVOID the damn device he runs to it. But alas he sees what can happen and he knows that the junk food will have to go soon which is why he has been observing what I have been trying to do.

• Like 1

Cleaning up Diet (cut down on sugar, bread, portion size)

1%
1%

Weight loss (180-140)

1%
1%

Starting 1001 Movie blog (50 entries by September)

5%
5%

Salu-what?

Whatever, Ayla14, I know how you feel. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs or thereabouts and see how I feel after. How are you keeping track of your progress?

However you do it, remember to look back on it to remind yourself how awesome you are for how well you've done thus far.

Also, congrats on the upcoming marriage!

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

Hey!

My name is Ayla and I live in a small place no one knows about ...*cough* Rhode Island *cough* (No not as in Greece or anything like that). I am 24 years old, english major with a minor in creative writing and film. I had never really had that much of a problem with my weight. I was in decent shape for someone who wasn't into sports and more into what I called "the sedentary arts". But like many, when college came around the pounds piled on so fast and than wham!!! I find myself standing on a fine edge of going down a road that involves health problems and even more wonderful geekcentric t shirts I can't wear. So many wonderful shirts....but anyway!

I have to say apart from physically seeing it in the mirror (I tended to avoid my reflection these past couple of years ) I also have two major reasons for change. Yes. The eyes will roll, but its because I met someone. I know, I know. "He better not be telling you to change" or "Don't change for a guy". Yes, yes I know. I assure you this guy would worship the ground I walk on even if I gained 100 more pounds. But that is because he has his own extreme body issues so he would never dream of making comments like that to me. He only supports and encourages me 100 percent on my desire to finally improve my health. It is actually a shared goal of ours, but where I have to lose it, he has to gain it!! He has been extremely underweight for a couple years so he doesn't have the issue I have. But okay, sorry, ranting...I'll get to the point.

The relationship is serious and money has been already funneled away for a ring (yeah it ain't a surprise). With an engagement I know it means pictures, and after an engagement it means wedding, a dress, and so on and so forth. So why not start now? Why not get healthy now? Instead of suddenly dieting just to squeeze my butt into a really nice dress and than stop. So many things have changed so quickly for the both of us since we've met, and if this train is speeding along than we might as well get started.

I want to do this so I can look in the mirror and go "There is that bad ass girl I knew was underneath!" instead of just avoiding it all together.

The Charlotte's Web reference in the thread title hooked me into reading your thread. It was my favorite book as a kid. Props to you for choosing to prepare for your wedding now instead of crash dieting just before. [emoji4]
  • Like 1

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/