Forums are back in action! ×

what makes you a nerd?

Guest Snake McClain

Definitely my nerdy flavor of BO and gas. Not to be confused with jock BO and gas.

Secondarily, I was picked on when I was little, was stereotyped as "smart" until people really got to know me, sucked at sports and really had to work hard, was last to be picked for teams, and own coke bottle glasses (thank G*d for contacts).

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

1) Engineer of electronical thing-a-ma-jigs

2) I have a vast library of books.

3) I have computer parts laying around for fun.

4) I own a soldering iron and an oscilloscope

5) I can converse about a large number of esoteric topics.

6) Overall weird sense of humor

I could go on, but really it'd be like beating a dead horse.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Guest Snake McClain

I also got picked on a lot. I like "nerdy things" like battle star galactica and all that stuff. Had bad acne (thank god that ended). was rail thin and scrawny. no self confidence. I could go on forever too probably. I'm considering a degree in mechanical engineering (like 99% sure)

Had all lines from Star Wars 4-6 memorized by the time I was 10. Overweight since 8. Borderline-depression level self-confidence until mid-high school. Always in the advanced classes. Shunned by the "cool kids". Played WoW on an off for almost 8 years. Sang in the show choir (before it was pop culture). Have a degree in mechanical engineering.

It's funny, because a lot of people in my day to day life wouldn't think I'm a nerd. But I'm a bit obsessive. I'll get a pet topic or activity and spend inordinate amounts of time and energy on it. In the past I've fed it with video games, novels... things where I can just disappear into whatever I'm doing. I like RPGs because I find optimising all the stats and progressing very satisfying.

And I realise that sounds like autistic spectrum behaviour, but it doesn't bother me. I function very well and I interact well with people. Though that wasn't always the case, and I'm sure I come across as awkward sometimes.

* Never been much for sports, until last 2-3 years, I'm 24 now.

* I grew up with anime, games, computers, totally obsessed and disliked being social.

* I study computer science and technology

* Worked as animator / technical artist for several years

* Game development, drawing and programming as hobby

What comes to mind at least. I bet there's plenty more I could list. :P

1. Know all the Star Wars characters' names, even the obscure ones like Klaatu

2. Know that Klaatu is a reference to The Day The Earth Stood Still

3. Got picked on plenty as a kid

4. Am a programmer

5. Have always loved space and science documentaries

6. The clincher: played AD&D and partook in a wee bit of cosplay back in the day

I think I'm getting less nerdy as I get older, or else nerdiness has gone more mainstream...

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Interested in computer stuff since I was 9. Started to play MMORPGs at 10. MMORPG dominated my life from like 12-15. Broke my habit, and now I wish to level up my life in different aspects.

I studied Astronomy for 2 years and I love to watch most documentaries.

I'm also smart. And have a poor sense of style.

AND: I recently applied for a part-time job at PC World, and was rejected. It's the thought that counts though!

Thanks for reading my signature, but it's got nothing of relevance in it I'm afraid!

Hey, I'm on co-op for mech eng right now actually!

As such, I'm more of a closet nerd. Most of my friends don't know of my obsession with diet n fitness. I also lurve talking about nerdy subjects like science and engineering and what not.

I also make full use of my entire vocabulary at ever chance. Only with people I think will understand what I'm saying though.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain

Hey, I'm on co-op for mech eng right now actually!

As such, I'm more of a closet nerd. Most of my friends don't know of my obsession with diet n fitness. I also lurve talking about nerdy subjects like science and engineering and what not.

I also make full use of my entire vocabulary at ever chance. Only with people I think will understand what I'm saying though.

Is it just me or is DAARPA like the craziest group of people ever? they have the best ideas for EVERYTHING! A tank with a forcefield. My dream job is either working for them or being a pro wrestler. or comic writer.

The movie character I relate to most is Michael J. Fox's father in "Back to the Future". He gets the hot chick, becomes successful, triumphs over Biff(?). Love every part of that movie.

I can kind of see the younger members of this board with glazed eyes wondering what I'm talking about.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I've always been a fan of science fiction and fantasy, when most of my friends were reading Sweet Valley High. Didn't get the internet until I was in college, but then I discovered MUDs, and later from that was a closed beta tester for Everquest (the original), and fell in love with MMOs. Now I write science fiction and run a local geek meetup.

Is it just me or is DAARPA like the craziest group of people ever? they have the best ideas for EVERYTHING!

I remember DARPA when it was ARPA and even before ;-)

For me it's Computer Science software programmer from back when I had to use flip switches on the front of the machine and save the program to paper tape, punch cards were an improvement. Grew up on the old Astounding other pulp SF. Remember the first Doctor, William Hartnell although I watched Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker & Peter Davison the most. Learned to read from Asimov, Smith, Heinlein and Dickens. Grandfather was a cryptographer in WW II, Uncle was a German POW, father was a Research Chemist, mother had 3 Masters degrees. Was a Dungeon Master in College and big D&D player as well. Former Computer programmer for a military contractor, married to a hardware designer of rugged mobile systems for military folks mostly special forces types but now I'm a farmer and shepherdess to a flock of black sheep.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Is it just me or is DAARPA like the craziest group of people ever? they have the best ideas for EVERYTHING! A tank with a forcefield. My dream job is either working for them or being a pro wrestler. or comic writer.

Heh, I worked on a DARPA funded project at my school: Hybrid Military HUMVEE for mobile command center use. Pretty neat. You get to work on some freaking cool stuff.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

The movie character I relate to most is Michael J. Fox's father in "Back to the Future". He gets the hot chick, becomes successful, triumphs over Biff(?). Love every part of that movie.

I can kind of see the younger members of this board with glazed eyes wondering what I'm talking about.

Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't reply to this post, that he'd melt my brain.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Unfortunately I will never work for Darpa, as I am not american :( I'm sure we have many just-as-awesome opportunities here in Canada...

who the *** am I kidding :'( wah!

you guys reminded me of a couple though! I've watched every episode of BBT. And the only reason I don't have SC2 is because a) my laptop sucks and B) it came out during exams and no way in hell was I going to sabotage myself that much.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Oh gosh. I LOVE Star Wars, comic book movies, Reddit, some video games, math, space. I only date geeks and apparently that makes me a nerd :P Um. I am on this site- that makes me a nerd.

I am going to be a Minecraft creeper for Halloween. I think that says it all.

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox