Forums are back in action! ×

what makes you a nerd?

Guest Snake McClain

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START

Hahahaha. Nice.

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I haven't been through to read everything yet, but the first page at least, is great. A word cloud would be cool to see!

My nerd cred:

-First movie I ever saw in a theater was The Empire Strikes Back. I then spent the rest of my early childhood obsessively collecting every Star Wars figure that George Lucas put out. Only the figures/living things, no vehicles or anything, but I had them all. At the end it became an epic quest to find Greedo, and once we found him, I finally completed the collection. Sadly, my father threw them all out some years later.

-About the time I wound up my Star Wars collection I got an NES and became an avid game player until my early 20s. NES to Genesis, to N64, to PS2. I skipped some systems, but then my family was on the lower end of the middle class.

-In junior high I got into comics. Another obsession was born. I spent four or five years buying any comics I could get my fat little hands on. I'd even skip lunch just to save up my money to buy more comics. My family HATED it when I went into a comic store. I'd spend at least an hour in there, often just staring at the display wall. I miss Cliff's Comic World...

-I am/was a huge Star Trek fan. TOS, TNG, and DS9, especially. I've seen every one of those episodes many times. I've seen most of Voyager, but didn't care too much for it. Not much after that, really.

-I've played my fair share of D&D and 40k. There was even a really sad, nerdy time in jr. high when I would play D&D by myself because I had no friends. I'd sit on my bedroom floor, roll up new characters and DM a game for myself to play through.

-I'm a pro wrestling fanatic. I tend to download, watch, and save a whole lot of wrestling. I don't think I could ever watch all I have right now, yet my collection just keeps growing. I just did a quick count, and I have 39 years of weekly wrestling TV programing.

Thirty.

Nine.

Years.

That's not counting individual matches, interviews, compilation discs, one off shows, partial years, or pay-per-view events. That's only counting the TV show runs.

39 years.... Jesus, I just now realized how sad that is. I'm going to go drown my sorrow and depression in a big bowl full of Terry Funk matches.

Guest Snake McClain

39 years.... Jesus, I just now realized how sad that is. I'm going to go drown my sorrow and depression in a big bowl full of Terry Funk matches.

Is there ANY OTHER way to drown ones sorrows?

Guest Snake McClain

I don't know... drowning one's sorrows in Jerry Lawler matches? Randy Savage, maybe? They're the only ones I can think of that are as just plain fun to watch as Funk.

Kenta Kobashi matches in my opinion. Or Kenta. Or Kota Ibushi.

Have you ever tried typing the Konami Code into Google Reader?

No...what happens?

- Played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons

- Taught myself HTML and started my own D&D website when I was 12

- Spent an awful lot of time in the music wing (chorus, guitar, electronic music) in HS

- I still play Fallout 1 and 2 on my computer

Brendan's Workout Log

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

- Winston Churchill

Lets see.....

A *frightening* amount of Weird Al's song "White and Nerdy" apply to me.

* Got skills, I'm a Champion of DND <- and Now Pathfinder

* MC Escher that's my favorite MC <- Actually, my 2nd favorite - my favorite is MC Simon Milligan from Kids in the Hall

* Keep your 40. I'll just have an Earl Grey tea <- True and I know this is a Star Trek reference

* My rims never spin to the contrary, You'll find they're quite stationary <- I'm a Software Engineer, So my rims are on my Mustang - and no, they aren't the "spinny" kind - unless I stomp on the accelerator! :D

* All of my action figures are cherry <- About 50 Star Wars figures on my desk at work

* Steven Hawkings in my library <- Brief History of Time indeed! To be honest, I found Feynman more accessible.

* My MySpace page is all totally pimped out, I got people begging for my top 8 spaces <- Dated, but my Google+ and Facebook pages have settings JUST right (including Facebook privacy settings)

* Yo I know Pi to a thousand places <- not a 1000, but off the top of my head (without looking) 3.14159265358

* Ain't got no grills but I still wear braces <- OK, not this one

* I order all of my sandwiches with mayonnaise <- Oil + Eggs! FTW!

* I'm a whiz at minesweeper I can play for days <- OK, not Minesweeper, but I'm a master of City of Heroes and soon Star Wars: The Old Republic

* There's no killer app I haven't run <- I do keep an eye on Lifehacker for great apps to run on my rooted android phone.

* At Pascal, well, I'm number 1 <- AND C++ AND C#

* Do vector calculus just for fun <- Well, regular calculus does go into much of what I do for fun (Limits just apply to soo much)

* I ain't got a gat but I gotta soldering gun <- It broke :(

* Happy days is my favourite theme song <- Actually, Firefly is (arguably nerdier)

* I can sure kick your butt in a game of ping pong <- I argue that having the total lack of coordination to do this is nerdier

* I'll ace any trivia quiz you bring on <- Often

* I'm fluent in Java Script as well as Klingon <- Javascript, yes, never got around to Klingon

* X-men comics you know I collect 'em <- I have in the past.

* The pens in my pocket, I must protect 'em <- anyone know where I can get a good pocket protector that would fit my Dr. Who Sonic Screwdriver pen?

* my ergonomic keyboard never leaves me bored <- TRUE!

* Shopping online for deals on some writable media <- Newegg FTW!

* I edit Wikipedia <- And the City of Heroes wiki.

* I memorized Holy Grail really well, I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL <- "We are now, no longer the Knights who say Ni, but the Knights who say echy-echy-echy f-CLANG!"

* I got a business doing websites <- In the past yes. Never made much money from it.

* When my friends need some code who do they call? <- Squarespace.com using a TWIT.tv coupon code.

* Even made a homepage for my dog! <- He never updated it.

* Yo! Got myself a fanny pack <- *sigh* I wish I didn't?

* they were having a sale down at the GAP <- No, I do thrift stores generally.

* Spend my nights with a roll of bubble wrap, POP POP! Hope no one sees me gettin' freaky! <- Uh....I plead the 5th. Next question.

* Only question I ever thought was hard, Was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard? <- Depends on the situation.

And the fact I knew to reference this song.

My 4yo daughter walked around all day yesterday saying: "All systems...A-ok, all systems A-ok, all systems...A-ok, all systems...A-ok, all systems...A-ok...". Think see got it from a cartoon she was watching.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance