Forums are back in action! ×

Hola!

Guest Ampersand

Guest Ampersand

Hi everyone! Greetings from Spain!

I've been a lurker on this site for a while, but I finally decided to get an account! This is my first time as part of an online community; I'm super excited but also really nervous. 

I recently moved from Canada to Spain for school, I haven't chosen a major yet but I'm working towards a career in international affairs, diplomacy, or politics. I was just supposed to be here for a semester but I've been working my hardest to stay here. So far I've been granted a full year, and I'm going for a second. Wish me luck!

Throughout high school, I wasn't really overweight but I definitely wasn't thin. I didn't really have any muscle definition, and my exercise was jump-roping for 2 hours everyday to try and out-exercise an awful diet. My parents always told me that because of my genes I could never really be skinny. 

In my first semester of college I had crazy vegan, gluten-free, fat-free, cross-country roommates. I started running 6-12 miles a day and living off of tofu and fruit. I lost 20 pounds in 2 months, but I still didn't really have any muscle definition, and I was in a healthy weight range, but I definitely didn't have the fit, muscled physique that I wanted. 

When I moved to Spain my diet got a lot healthier, partially because the food here is so much cheaper. My diet is primarily meat, fish, yogurt, and lots of fresh produce. I don't eat anything processed or with added sugar; I found that I got really bad headaches every time I had sugar. I tried going grain-free but just felt absolutely awful, so I usually have a serving of oatmeal, quinoa, or brown rice at lunch. 

My goal is to be something of a ranger/assassin hybrid. I don't know if there's a name for that. I love running so much, but I also want to be strong enough to have confidence, and I think that flips are just SO FREAKING COOL. I've been working on kick-boxing classes, but I'm hoping to start some type of martial arts classes or gymnastics this semester. I'm trying to work towards a balanced, muscular, and lean body. Not going to lie, a lot of this is aesthetics. I want a six-pack so badly, man. 

My current dilemma is my cardio addiction. I absolutely love going to the gym and sweating my butt off; I get so pumped to run hills on the treadmill. But I also know that if I want to really become serious about building muscle and butt-kicking skills I need to let go of the elliptical. And the rowing machine. And the stationary bike. I'm not scared of the weights, but I never think I'm burning enough calories working out and it's so hard to really get motivated. If anyone has any advice for that it would be hugely appreciated. 

Hey! Good luck with school and your goals :]

So... as you build muscle, your metabolism increases and you burn more calories. That is why weight training is really good for weight loss. If you want to transition from high cardio to free weights in an easier way that will make you feel like you are burning more calories, I suggest trying circuit training. On this site, you will find the beginning body weight workout (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/). You can give that a try. You can modify it if is too easy (EG: add reps, circuits, or time on your planks), or you can try the advanced version (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/17/advanced-body-weight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-ass/). Don't try the advanced one without doing the beginning one first, though. It's better to go in steps and then move up as it gets easier. 

Well, if you need anything else, the forums are awesome and everyone here is supportive. You are also welcome to stop by my page if you want an accountabilibuddy (although I will say that I am becoming a druid-warrior so I may not be completely right for your goals). 

Best of luck!! :]

Level 0, Human Druid

[sTR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0 ]

"'Impossible' is not a scientific term." - Vanna Bonta