Forums are back in action! ×

Respawning with a new focus

I don't know what happened. I started here in the fall of 2013, saw great results (lost 13lbs. the first challenge) and fell off some time that winter. It's been an on and off thing since then with exercise, diet and this site but I'm rededicated right now and desperate to shed my excess weight. Last I checked I was right around 244. That's only about 7 Lbs more than after my first challenge, but at the same time I'm almost 36 and I'm starting to feel some of my muscle mass diminishing. I'm definitely not as strong as I used to be and I'm up a pants size since the end of that last challenge. Not good.

So I'm back. But I'm back with purpose. Amongst all this craziness, I found my new focus- disc golf.

I'm completely enamored with the game. It's consumed my thoughts since the summer. The thing is, I'm god awful. Seriously. If I'm playing bogey golf I'm happy.

The thing is, I'm starting to make acquaintances in the game, whether I'm out shopping for discs at the local shops or while I'm volunteering at my home course. Most conversations include the questioning of why I'm not playing in leagues. It's simple. I'm not good enough and I know it. I don't want to show up for random doubles and not be able to contribute to my partner on the course. I don't want to show up to a tournament, be in dead last of the worst division and have ten strokes in between me and the second worst.

So it's pretty obvious I have to practice, practice and practice some more. Normally this isn't a problem, but since we live in Wisconsin, It's hard to do anything outdoors from December to March. Given the fact that I'm 36 with no experience, I need every edge I can get. I listen to a lot of interviews with the top pros, and a lot of the advice they give to get better is to eat healthy and get into good shape along with practicing you skills. So this is what I got to do.

And I know this. I take about 25-50 shots before I start to play to work out the errant throws before I play a round. Normally I'll start an 18 hole round anywhere from shaky to good, but the one consistency in my game is that anywhere from holes 5 to 7, I start to get on fire and I flame out after hole 12. If I play a second round, it's almost always worse than the first. My stamina is horrible.

I want better stamina, so I need less weight and more cardio. I want better throws, so I need stretching and weights.

So I'm going to start to get ready for the next challenge. I'm going to do this by staying active at least Monday through Friday, eat better and most importantly, post to this site every second or third day. I want to play in tournaments by 2016, and this is a critical step in my development. No more excuses.

• Like 1

Bruce Wayne: I'm not afraid. I'm angry.

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

STR/ DEX/ STA/ CON/ WIS/ CHA

5.5 / 2.0/ 2.25/ 8.0/ 2.0/ 1.0

First Challenge-

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37558-ready-to-rock/

Welcome back!

I love the dedication I hear in your words. Very motivating. I have a friend who loovvvveeesss disc golf and ultimate frisbee. Definitely need to be limber and have good air so I'd say your looking to work on just the right things. Train, post, and be happy.

Good luck!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Welcome back!

I love the dedication I hear in your words. Very motivating. I have a friend who loovvvveeesss disc golf and ultimate frisbee. Definitely need to be limber and have good air so I'd say your looking to work on just the right things. Train, post, and be happy.

Good luck!

Thanks! Definitely working on the limber thing, you really need your whole body to throw those discs and being loose helps a lot.

• Like 1

Bruce Wayne: I'm not afraid. I'm angry.

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

STR/ DEX/ STA/ CON/ WIS/ CHA

5.5 / 2.0/ 2.25/ 8.0/ 2.0/ 1.0

First Challenge-

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37558-ready-to-rock/