Forums are back in action! ×

Hi Everyone!

I've been walking since last October but used the holidays as an excuse to not walk for a little over a month. I also had changed my diet in August. But got off it again and blamed it on the holidays. I picked everything back up at the beginning of January and have been going strong ever since. I have, for the most part, stuck to my diet and exercise routine. I see my doctor every six months and between the last 2 visits I lost 12 pounds and that was all just from changing my diet because I hadn't been walking very long on my last visit. I lost 24 pounds over a 1 year period and don't understand or know how that happened but i'll take it!

The funny thing about finding Nerd Fitness, it was completely by accident. I felt like my thighs weren't getting much out of the walking, they didn't feel "worked out" at the end. I had been doing some weight training on my arms because I wanted some strength, that's going good. So I decided to add some squats and lunges to my weight training. I started off really well. I was going to do 3 sets of 10 squats and lunges. I was on my 3rd set of squats, about #6 or 7 and my right knee screamed with pain. It was an excruciating pain and I could barely put weight on it. I stopped and went to sit down. I was sure I had torn something and was going to have to have surgery, yadda, yadda. The pain went away after an hour or two, whew!

I knew, obviously I was doing something wrong and my body rebelled against me, thank God! So I went to google and typed in "how to do a proper squat." Guess what the first thing was that came up? Nerd Fitness! I found out very quickly what I had been doing wrong then I got lost in the site for hours. I was reading and soaking everything up. I was getting more and more excited. I found the body weight cicuit training for beginners and I LOLd out of sheer delight! It's exactly what I was looking for! I couldn't figure out how to work my core and believe me it needs work! I just couldn't believe it.

Tomorrow is my weight training day and i'm going to start slowly incorporating the body circuit training into my regimen. I'm 47, I weigh 224 pounds as of my last doctors visit and I don't know my measurements yet because I can't find my tape measure. I will find it today or go by a new one.

Here's the thing for me. I'm scared and intimidated by the exercises because I am so over weight and 47, my body just doesn't work like it used to and to be honest, i'm not strong at all. BUT, I am excited and comitted to doing this. I'm going to go slowly, build up my strength and stamina, continue my walking and as I get stronger and can do more, i'm going to start cutting back on my walking on weight training days. BTW, I only walk for 30 mins very briskly, so you know i'm not going far, but it's almost all hills, and not wimpy ones either. I could cheat and go the other way and it's mostly down hill all the way but what good would that be?

My motivation for starting my exercise was external. Then it changed to an intrinsic motivation. Now my primary motivation is getting high. I get a really euphoric feeling after my walk and it's even more intense on my weight training days. It's awesome!

One other thing that got me stoked, was I found out when I changed my diet, I had naturally and instinctively switched to paleo without even knowing it! I'm not perfect yet, but i'd say my diet is 75-80% paleo. That floored me and made me very happy!

What do I bring to the table? I bring my warrior spirit. When I feel like not walking, I tell myself,"carry on warrior!" And I go. Everyday, I go. When I struggle lifting weights, I tell myself, "kick ass warrior, 2 more, you can do it, don't stop!" Aren't rebels warriors too? I think it fits right in with the rebel philosophy and credo. (I got the carry on warrior from a book, I didn't make it up myself, but I love it and use it all the time.)

Well that's me and my story. Finding Nerd Fitness was pure serendipity and was meant to happen because i'm ready for it.

Hope this wasn't too long or boring,

Firelamb

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. Ralph W. Emerson

Carry on warriors!

Welcome Firelamb! I'm a newbie around here too - welcome! I've been doing 15 minute walks daily and the beginners strength workout every 3rd day for the last 2 weeks and its finally startiing to get easier. 1 step at a time, set small goals as well as long term ones and celebrate your little victories along the way (No food rewards!).

Best of luck!

I'm not saying I'm Batman, I'm just saying no one has ever seen Batman and I in the same room before.