Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone,

New to this website, and new to fitness in general. I mean, I have attempted before. Many times. Over and over. I'd make a half-assed attempt over a week or two, then get bored / distracted / demotivated and never get back to it again. Yeah, I'm the person who 'donated' to a gym membership for a year - right up until I could end it - and went to the gym twice in total. I get bored easy and lose focus, especially when there is no Great Reason to keep working out.

Well, this time round I started haphazardly in December, then fully committed to it at the start of January. I started purely to get my mind off Emotional Stuff, and found that - wow! - it actually helped. Imagine that. It gave me something to focus on instead of wallowing, and I started feeling better, emotionally and physically. Of course then Christmas happened which disrupted it, but I got back on track fairly quickly after New Years.

My aims have been to build up strength - physically and emotionally, increase flexibility and agility, and build up more stamina. I am planning to try rock climbing when time allows in the next couple of months, and maybe take that on more regularly. I mean, there are lots of things I want to try. Most things, basically. But that will be my first focus.

Pretty certain these forums will help keep me on track. Fantasy combining with fitness.

All the best to everyone

BellaDonna the level 3 Nymph Assassin

STR 5|DEX 6|CON 8|STA 4|WIS 4|CHA 4

Origin Story, First, Second, Third Challenge

BellaDonna's Battle Log

Welcome! 

I think a lot of us have been guilty of starting and stopping too fast. I know I have!

I've tried gym buddies (but they end up being flakes.. at least for me), and so far the only things I have found that work for me is: to sign up for a short term class that was fun - for me I started with Hooping (hula hoop), and that was enough to get me comitted to my gym membership. It also helped that I had a side benefit with hooping of a bit better body image - something about feeling free-agey. Or do drop in classes? We have a hip/hop aerobic class time deal - it's actually a blast becuase you just shake your ass lots and crunk to some good jams. I happen to enjoy these things. 

Also I got a dog. We were finally able to (housing & money finally lined up). He's my best personal trainer. He will bark at my while I'm doing squats or curls... mostly cause I think he thinks I have a giant stick I'm not sharing, but he's a great walking/jogging buddy. We love our "adventure walks". 

Good luck!

Level 2 Wood Elf Scout

(Current) Challenge #2

I have tried a few things like that - I used to do belly dancing off and on and I do love dancing, but most of that tends to be at gigs these days, not as a 'workout'.

I tried a Zumba class once, during the gym membership-that-wasn't. I was unfit, uncoed, unfamiliar with it, and never went back again. I guess I never committed then to finding even just that 'one thing' that would keep me going back.

But living alone, having space and actually wanting to keep doing it has really helped to get started at least. Working out in 'stealth-mode'

Good luck to both of you :)

• Like 1

BellaDonna's Battle Log

Welcome to the community. We are here to help! How do you plan to accomplish your goals? Rock climbing is a great hobby. I enjoy going from time to time. I would focus on hand/ forearm strength, and pullups in order to really enjoy rock climbing (or bouldering).

Well, I started with pretty much NO upper body strength so that the major thing to work on. I'm still a long way from pull ups. I have been doing a workout that includes a number of pushups 3x a week, yoga twice a week, and use dumbbells. Will re-evaluate after this 6-week challenge to add in a body weight workout.

On this site is the first time I have heard of 'bouldering'. <Quick google> :eek-new:

BellaDonna's Battle Log