Forums are back in action! ×

And so the story begins...

In November, for the third time in less than a year and a half, I bought bigger pants. I was always a big woman, even as a teenager, wearing XL or XXL in high school and college. Out of nowhere, suddenly about a year and a half ago, I started to pack on even more size. There were no significant changes in what I had been eating or in my daily activity, I just started ballooning.

I'm a woman in her mid 20s. I've always been chubby, but was never really self concious about it. My two little brothers were also large, but recently they have both gotten incredibly fit. For one of them, two of his hobbies are basketball and weightlifting. The other one recently joined the Navy. I am very proud of them, but I started to feel a little ridiculus standing next to them in photos.

Buying those pants in November was the last straw. I found out that there was a gym near my home with 24 hour access, and a 90 day weight loss program that included regular check ins with a personal trainer. For the first time in my life, I had a gym membership, and someone who was showing me what to do with it, making certain that I'm doing things right. (The workouts tend to be cardio intervals or Cross-Fit inspired).

When a co-worker told me about Nerd Fitness I was delighted. The blog might have drawn me in and made me click around as bad as TV Tropes does. Looking around in the forums I've found a ton of interesting, fun, and supportive people. This is going to be the resource that I need in order to keep going when I've finished up the workouts in the program I'm on.

Guess I'm saying thank you Rebels, for being the Rebels. I've already taken my first steps. I can't wait to see what happens from here.

When you stop learning, you stop living. This doesn't just mean learning new facts, this is learning yourself and your limits. If you don't know where your limits are today, how will you ever break them tomorrow?