Forums are back in action! ×

Phoenix from the ashes

Hi,

John here, let me tell you a little about myself. I'm 56 years old, a former soldier, now living in germany.

In 2007 I had a horrific accident that lead to the removal of my stomach and epiglotis, I now live on liquid food that is pumped into my gut. when I finally left hospital in 2008, i weighed 59 kilo, not much for a height of 6'2''. To cut a long story short, i now weigh round about 80 kilos, and I think I'm reasonably fit for my age.

Question, is it worth trying to increase muscle mass at my age or would I be wasting my time?

Best Regards

John 

Hi, John. Welcome to the Rebellion!

I'm a newbie to all this, myself, so I'm not really qualified to answer your question. But, my gut instinct is that gaining muscle mass would be very healthy for a middle-aged gentleman such as yourself, and might help you to live longer with a better quality of life. Speaking just about my father, who is a few years older than you, I know that his overall health improved quite a bit when he began to focus on regaining strength. He is also a tall and thin guy, and he was starting to look a bit frail in his 50's. But now he has energy and is able to do a lot of things, like gardening and working on the car, that he really enjoys. He seems younger now (at 63) than he did at 58, although he is getting balder! :P

I don't know what kind of extra difficulties you might encounter because of your eating situation, but you should probably ask your doctor about your desire to gain muscle. I'm sure it can be done. :)