Forums are back in action! ×

Out with the old? - video games and movies

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been around, which is a story for another time, but I'm looking for some advice:

I have a decent-sized games library that spans all of Nintendo's consoles since the SNES and a significant DVD collection.

I have always enjoyed and continue to enjoy gaming, but I'm finding that I'm keeping some of my older games for the nostalgia value, having completed them ages ago. I'm also finding that I'm not really playing the games that I've already completed; I've reached 100% completion in some of these games, whereas I've only completed the main story in others. Sometimes, trying to "complete" a game feels more like a chore than anything. I usually end up moving on to new games instead - I actually have three new games to play, one in the mail, and another one pre-ordered.

As for DVDs, I have a passion for movies and shows - live action and animated - of a wide variety of genres. So I end up buying a lot of DVDs, some of which I only end up watching once. Some of these movies haven't been watched yet, which is something that I need to remedy. I subsequently continue to buy more of these DVDs, and they usually end up sitting around as well. With the advent of things like Netflix, which I don't have, I'm starting to wonder whether or not I'm buying too many for my own good.

To summarize, I often impulse-buy things, but I also find myself plagued with the feeling that I'm wasting my time and money on something that I will just lose enthusiasm for eventually. The idea literally just came to me a few minutes ago, so I'm not going to put my stock up on Amazon or pawn it off to my friends just yet; I'm going to get some opinions and let the idea stew for a little bit.

Should I keep them around? Should I sell them? Should I just get rid of my games and keep the DVD's? Should I figure out just how many of them are on Netflix/Crunchyroll/etc. and consider getting a subscription?

What do you all think?

Race - Ambiguously Human | Guild - None

Level - 0 | STR - ? | DEX - ? | STA - ? | CON - ? | WIS - ? | CHA - ?

My initial thought would be to get rid of the stuff you can't use, then see where you sit. So, you no longer have the SNES, dump all the SNES games...

If you still have the SNES, how long has it been since you used it? More than 6 months, I'd get rid of it... along with the games.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I apologize for taking so long to respond, I had to put my focus elsewhere for a little bit.

I still have all of the consoles for the games that I own - SNES, N64, Wii (which I also play GCN games on), and Wii U; I've actually owned the same SNES console since I was roughly five years old. I'd have to agree with heavyink about keeping some for nostalgia value, but I also want to focus on replay value at the same time. More often than not, my games are from the staple Nintendo series (Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, Mario Kart, Smash Bros), so I can usually pick out which games have better replay value.

I think that I'm probably going to get rid of the Zelda titles, because there isn't much reason to replay them after you've cleared the story. The same goes for my N64 games: Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64; I've beaten the latter two and played the former almost the entire way through, so there isn't much point anymore. As for my other games, it's a toss-up as to whether they're worth keeping or not; I'll probably focus on getting rid of the games I've mentioned first and giving myself the time to decide the fate of the others.

I think the big three for me are: Nostalgia value, Replay value, and Multiplayer value.
Is it special to me? Can I play it again without it becoming tedious? Can I play this game with other people? Those are the big questions.

If all else fails, offering to sell these games to my friends at slightly discounted prices means that I might still have access to them if the urge ever were to strike me to play them again. I think that'll be my first move.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Race - Ambiguously Human | Guild - None

Level - 0 | STR - ? | DEX - ? | STA - ? | CON - ? | WIS - ? | CHA - ?